Glowing Embers branching

jim_on_lookout_mtn(7A,LookoutMtnAL)March 14, 2008

This maple was purchased as Glowing Embers....the aggressive branching below the canopy started once the maple was in the ground. Should they be trimmed off? I am concerned they will impact the shape......or are there other concerns? thnx, Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Glowing Embers image

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mattlwfowler

I would personally trim most of them off completely, but you could trim some and leave some. However, you may be too late to prune it if the sap is running...and it is here in SC.

Bookmark   March 15, 2008 at 6:27PM
myersphcf(z6a IL)

I agree with Matt in in entirety ...David

Bookmark   March 15, 2008 at 7:15PM
jim_on_lookout_mtn(7A,LookoutMtnAL)

An earlier post indicated bleeding was not a problem......what is the concern? thnx for your responses. Jim

Bookmark   March 16, 2008 at 11:46AM
myersphcf(z6a IL)

IMHO you can prune anytime ( if necessary like storm damge etc) but it is always best to NOT do so when the sap is running...the life blood of the tree. A perfectly healthy tree will be likely ok but not so if any energy needed for healing a sick or young tree etc will thus it be hurt by your trimming . also you always have a chance disease will enter thru the cuts the more cuts the more entrance points ... So best time all around is fall after leaf fall when dormant sap will not be running and many fungus diseases will not be around...otherwise it least wait til summer ...I would agree with the majority here this is not a good time to be futzing with yiour tree ( in your zone) UNLESS it is absolutly necessary and as I see it although your tree is "prickly" with needless braches it is an aesthetic matter not an emergency. David

Bookmark   March 16, 2008 at 12:11PM
mattlwfowler

Yes I suppose in most cases it is not too damaging to prune when they bleed...but they do bleed alot and we are talking basically syrup. That's alot of lost energy that could be used for growth and general health.

Bookmark   March 16, 2008 at 9:11PM
More Discussions
Japanese Maple concerns
The tree has two main branches. Is that normal? Also...
420benz
Is it ok to plant Bloodgood at December in zone 7a?
I got two 45 gallon Bloodgood JM trees on my driveway....
Pro320
Planting a Sugar Maple seed.
Hello! I've got a beautiful Sugar Maple in my yard,...
Pippers
Central lead?
Had this tree planted in the fall and getting increasingly...
libratravel
Central lead?
Had this tree planted in the fall and getting increasingly...
libratravel
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™