new purchases - now what

beverlymnz4June 7, 2014

So I donated some hosta to the hosta society sale, because I need some room. I really made an effort to present good hosta with good roots and wanted to see if they were purchased. When I went back to see if they were sold...

I bought the following:

Minnesota Wild
Roy Khlem
Razor's Edge.

My sister bought
American Icon
Jack of Diamonds
Lakeside Baby Face.

I would like to hear from anyone growing these, what conditions they have them in and how well do they seem to be doing. If one of these 6 were to be a stand alone hosta as a focal point, which one would it be?

Any experience or observation is appreciated,
Beverly

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
irawon(5a Ottawa)

Hi Bev,
The only one of the three you bought that I have is Roy Klehm. He's doing fine in a bed with root competition. I have him situated on the northern side.

Jack of Diamonds is doing well in another bed and gets mostly shade. I see him as a smaller Frances Williams with no edge burn.

Hope you get a reply from someone who has all six.

Bookmark   June 7, 2014 at 11:22PM
beverlymnz4

Thank you irawon, I know I've seen Roy Klehm in a Wisconsin garden, but I can't remember if it was flat and wide or more upright and mounding. The hosta library says upright, so I'm going with that.

Beverly

Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 7:08AM
ci_lantro

As a standalone hosta, Jack of Diamonds gets my vote. (Tokoduma flavocircinalis is sposed to be a look-a-like to JOD.) I have both because I'm a sucker for that color combination & bought them before I knew about the look-alike hostas. Both are still teenagers in my garden. JOD from Green Mtn in 2012 and TokoF from a 2011 TC, IIRC.

Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 7:30AM
paul_in_mn(4b)

Jack of Diamonds will take some sun in Minnesota.

Paul

Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 8:41AM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

Incidentally, Bev, if you are looking for Razor's Edge you won't find it in the "R" of Hosta Library. It is THE RAZOR'S EDGE.
It was the first hosta which succumbed to southern blight back in 2012, and I replaced it. A great plant. I now have mine planted in the middle of a tub full of Verna Jean and it is doing great. It will have lots of scapes with purple flowers.

This is what mine looks like now.

I have a theory that the dense growth at the crown restricted air flow and that is why my first one had southern blight. Keep an eye out for little pale orange balls like Osmocote time release fertilizer down near the crown. It can kill a hosta in one day. It attacks other plants besides hosta. My DH has it on his tomato plants now, just as they are beginning to ripen.

Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 11:22AM
beverlymnz4

Cilantro, thanks for the color information on JD.
Paul, good to know that it can take some sun.
Nice picture Mocc, I will keep an eye out for blight in my garden. Air circulation is a problem in my small yard.

Beverly

Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 12:30PM
Gesila(MI Z5)

My Jack of Diamonds and Roy Klehm are next to each other. Both get sun from mid afternoon until 8 pm. Don Rawson (who is in the same zone as me) grows his Jack of Diamonds in full sun.

Jack of Diamonds

Roy Klehm, the chipmunks are always taking down stalks of my uprights:

Gesila

Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 2:14PM
More Discussions
hostanista
Anyone wanna do Leaf shots? Hosta 'Dream Queen'
Who needs slo-poke 'Thunderbolt'? fwiw, hh
hostahillbilly
New pictures
For anyone interested in going over to Hallsons gardens...
almosthooked
If you were to recommend only one hosta it would be........
If you could suggest only one hosta to others as a...
santamiller
New arrivals
It dawned mild and sunny here in Wales today. The postman...
tiddisolo z8 Wales UK
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™