Help with MG application

weirdtrevJune 25, 2008

I just received my MG application in the mail. It is for Baltimore County (in Maryland). I don't know if the application process varies from state to state, but can anyone offer any pointers or let me know what they are looking for in an applicant.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardener_sandy

Honesty and a willingness to help others. I don't know what's asked on your application but there are two basic things you need to remember. As a MG your "job" is to be as helpful as possible to the clients in your area. And you need to be sure the information you give out is as accurate as the latest research by the land grant universities can give you.

In our extension, our "opinion" is not acceptable. We need factual data to back up what we tell our clients. This means we need to be good researchers, also. Knowing a lot about horticulture is one thing, but finding answers is what we "master" in.

Bookmark   June 25, 2008 at 9:04AM
eddie1

Where I am they are mainly looking for people to answer the phone (horticulture hotline).
They don't care about your knowledge or experience or ambitious programs you want to develop - just someone to man the phone. But that's the Extension Service office where you volunteer your time to become certified, when you join your local Master Gardener club it's a slightly different story where you are encouraged to express your individual talents. I am not knocking the Extension service, just trying to explain things as the lowest common denominator. So simply say on your application that you love researching for answers to questions and you loooove answering the phone and you'll be a shoo-in.

Bookmark   July 31, 2008 at 11:00AM
engineeredgarden(7, nw Alabama)

My location is really looking for people to volunteer their time and service toward the 4-H program. I'm planning on submitting my application this week. I work well with kids.

Bookmark   July 31, 2008 at 4:37PM
weirdtrev

Thank you all for your input. I submitted my application a couple weeks ago. I think I would be a good fit for the MG program based on what I know about it and all of your input on here. I'll find out around August 15th if they liked my application.

Bookmark   July 31, 2008 at 10:42PM
weirdtrev

They liked my application I will be taking the classes this fall!

Bookmark   August 8, 2008 at 11:01PM
gardener_sandy

Congratulations! Let us know how you like your classes.

Bookmark   August 12, 2008 at 2:52AM
weirdtrev

I started class this past Friday, the 6 hours flew by. My least favorite thing was when we went around the room and introduced ourselves, I feel like I made a fool of myself. I don't have a problem talking in front of people, but I can't talk about myself for some reason. So everyone else talked for like 5 minutes and I talked for maybe 30 seconds. Plus I am the youngest one there so I felt pressured to make a good first impression and I failed. However, the rest of the day was wonderful.

Bookmark   September 15, 2008 at 8:46PM
engineeredgarden(7, nw Alabama)

I just wanted to say that I turned in my application in August, and received my letter of acceptance yesterday! Classes start January 20th.

EG

Bookmark   December 17, 2008 at 11:36AM
More Discussions
cleaning a rain barrel
Hi all, I just bought a 300 gallon tote that I plan...
finnickyaboutgreen
Rejected by the MN MG Program- Please Help
Today I found out that I was not accepted into the...
shar037
Jerry Baker tonics
What is your opinion of using Jerry Baker tonics on...
want-to-b-gardener
Definition of 'habit klr'?
Didn't know where to post this... What does 'habit...
gardenweb88
How was your year?
With the growing season winding down in a lot of the...
gardener_sandy
Sponsored Products
Woodard Briarwood Fire Pit Chat Set - WD2530
Hayneedle
Flood Lights. 270-Degree Outdoor Black Motion-Sensing Security Light
$49.97 | Home Depot
Soleil Grande Brown One-Light Fluorescent Pendant with Antique Bronze Canopy
Bellacor
Sonneman Accanto 40 1/4" High Polished Chrome Wall Sconce
Euro Style Lighting
Tribeca Outdoor Loveseat Cover
$119.50 | FRONTGATE
30" Square Teak Shower Mat
Signature Hardware
Aston Frameless Stainless Steel Finish Round Shower Enclosure (40"x40")
Overstock.com
Prairie Collection Rug 4' x 6' - BEIGE
$1,099.00 | Horchow
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™