Help! Invasive 'tree' keeps sending up shoots

dirtyheelsMarch 23, 2010

Hello All, I live in New England and moved to a new home. My front yard has skinny trees with whip like branches that I cannot get rid of. Chopping seems to beget more shoots. What is effective in removing these trees forever? Thanks for your help or any suggestions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
drrich2(6)

Hi:

You posted in the Maple forum; is the tree that's producing these shoots a maple? If so, what kind?

Do you just want to kill the 'shoots,' or the parent tree?

Is this a case of many seedlings sprouting up, independently of the main tree, or are they literally shoots (coming off the root system of the original plant)? This could impact your ability to kill the shoots without killing the original tree.

Lastly, if you want to kill the original tree, is this all on your property? I ask because I can envision a scenario where the tree is on your neighbor's yard, you chop the shoots on your property & use a concentrate of Glycopyrolate (active ingredient in RoundUp) on the cut sections to kill them, and the neighbor's tree dies...

Richard.

Bookmark   March 23, 2010 at 9:17PM
dirtyheels

Yes, this is on my property. Main tree has been cut to a stump. These are shoots off the the stump. Grow 8'tall and send out thin leaves that look like a fat feather. Not a maple. I want to kill them asap. thanks,

Bookmark   March 24, 2010 at 10:41PM
toronado3800 Zone 6 StLouis(6)

Right after you cut them, while the shoots are still green and fresh, apply some Round-Up to the live portion of the shoots. No need to go crazy, just properly apply some.

Think its a willow? A picture is worth a 1000 words.

You can go through all kinds of more trouble digging up your yard and all but this should be minimally tiring and decently effective.

Bookmark   March 25, 2010 at 2:31AM
dirtyheels

Thank you. Mission accomplished.

Bookmark   March 28, 2010 at 9:51PM
More Discussions
Is it ok to plant Bloodgood at December in zone 7a?
I got two 45 gallon Bloodgood JM trees on my driveway....
Pro320
Japanese cultivars requiring the least sun (Zone 5)
Japanese Maple Cultivars Requiring The Least Amount...
directorrod
Is this japanese maple dying?
I've have this young beni schichihenge for its first...
ledouchebag
help choosing a tree
I want to put a row of trees between my neighbor and...
bucks502
Species Acer Palmatum leaves turning red
I have a couple of species A.p. seedlings under lights...
ysrgrathe PA 6b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™