Looking for "Selma Star"

aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. CanadaNovember 22, 2012

Has anyone got this one squirrelled away, Seeds of Diversity has it listed as "apparently extinct" I did find it listed on a german website but didn't get an answer back when I contacted them.

If by any chance it's listed in the 2013 Seed Savers Exchange directory would someone let me know, I grew a few of it's sister seedling "Selma Zebra" this year but have to grow it again before I'll have enough to share.

Annette

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
drloyd

Annette, SSE sometimes lists/offers seeds themselves when no one else does. They listed it up to 2009.

A grower in Kansas got it from SSE and listed it in 2012 but it does not appear in the online 2013 Yearbook so far. That grower does not have any listings at all for 2013 yet. Perhaps some of the lists that were mailed to SSE have not made into the Yearbook yet. As I recall, the final version comes out in February. - Dick

Bookmark   November 22, 2012 at 3:15PM
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada

Thanks Dick, I'll keep looking.

Annette

Bookmark   November 22, 2012 at 9:32PM
drloyd

Selma Star has been offered in the SSE Yearbook by various growers most years since 1990. It is described as heavy yields, excellent table quality, fine canner or freezer, does really well in the north, about the earliest pole snap, very choice green stringless pod snap...

This sounds like a really good early pole snap for our climate.

No sign of the 2012 grower yet and the previous growers are not in the 2012 yearbook at all.

Park Seed is listed a source by one grower in the early 1990s but the do not have it now.

SSE offered it themselves most years from 2000-2009 and they listed their source as a grower with the SSE member code of IL CR R. That means the source was in Illinois and their last name starts with Cr and their first name starts with R. This is almost certainly Russ Crow. I do not see it on his current list.

Bookmark   November 24, 2012 at 10:40AM

Here's hoping someone still has it, I'm keeping my fingers crossed :). Here's a picture of it's sister seedling Selma Zebra.

This post was edited by aftermidnight on Thu, Nov 29, 12 at 11:56

Bookmark   November 24, 2012 at 11:31AM

Sorry about the big picture, while messing around trying to make it smaller, I hit the wrong button uurrrggghhhh.

Update....thanks to our new edit feature I was able to go back and resize my picture :).

Annette

This post was edited by aftermidnight on Thu, Nov 29, 12 at 12:00

Bookmark   November 24, 2012 at 11:34AM
drloyd

Selma Star is now listed for 2013 in the SSE Yearbook. I plan to order us some. The way you do things, do you want one seed or two? :) - Dick

Bookmark   November 26, 2012 at 9:25PM

One would be just fine, you just made my day :).

Annette

Bookmark   November 26, 2012 at 9:38PM

....on second thought two might be better, good to have a backup just in case :).

Annette

Bookmark   November 26, 2012 at 10:38PM
drloyd

Are there any problems importing seeds from the USA similar to our limitations importing seeds from other countries? Since this variety is rather rare, perhaps I should send some in two separate packages just in case. - Dick

Bookmark   November 27, 2012 at 9:32AM

Dick so far there hasn't been a problem, it should be fine.

Annette

Bookmark   November 27, 2012 at 9:59AM
drloyd

Annette, Selma Star may be a star in warm places like Selma but the seedlings here are tiny and very slow growing. They are by far the smallest plants in the bean garden and they do not look like they ever plan to climb.

Do you have blossoms on yours yet?

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 8:59AM

Dick, the ones that germinated are not very strong and aren't even climbing yet. Unfortunately right now I'm dealing with some health issues so this year might be bust for me :(.

Annette

Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 1:48PM
drloyd

Hope the health concern resolves quickly.

Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 10:06PM
More Discussions
What does "as soon as soil can be worked" really mean?
I know it might be a dumb question to ask because the...
beesneeds
A roll call, who is still here and staying after the "upgrade"?
Harry are you still here? I hope so! You have always...
wertach zone 7-B SC
How is the harvest going?
Just wondering how everyone's harvest results have...
deanriowa
Anybody know what cultivar????
Sorry about the blurry phone pics... We've been growing...
mav72
The Mayocoba Bean story
Have you heard of the controversy that evidently went...
RuthieG__TX
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™