JP Maple (Burgandy Lace) Should I trim off this branch? (pic)

gardenbug(8b)March 16, 2010

I planted my Burgundy Lace maple about 2 years ago. My idea was to have it grow with a nice canopy. How do I train it to get there? I notice there is a wishbone shape branch growing out of the side of it. Should I cut it off, if so, where do I make the cut? I also noticed the top branches seem to be growing in one direction. What's up with that? Should I put weights on the branches so they'll bend down? Does the tree need to be staked? Please help me as I love this tree. It's got lots of buds right now.

Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aethetic_pruner

ASAP I would prune off the lower left branch and then stake the tree to true vertical.

Bookmark   March 16, 2010 at 7:56PM
gardenbug(8b)

aethetic_pruner ~ Just a little to confused. I know you said lower left branch but which one? Do you mean the one nearest to the soil so that the entire wishbone branch is removed or the branch that is part of the wishbone branch. Can you please tell me where/how to make my cut? I'm really new at this pruning.

Bookmark   March 16, 2010 at 9:52PM
aethetic_pruner

Follow the tree trunk from the ground up. The first branch that you get to on the left is going into a wishbone form.
Take it all off at the trunk so you end up with just the two major co-leader branches on top. Do not prune and leave a stub. Cut the branch off flush with the trunk for this small branch. It may bleed sap a little at this time of year if the tree is active but it should heal off OK. Then stake the tree up so it is true vertical. Use two stakes, one on each side but take them off next year. Connect the stake with rubber materials and never with wire. The two stakes should be around 6 to 8 inches from the trunk, 180 degrees appart. OK?

Bookmark   March 17, 2010 at 5:23PM
gardenbug(8b)

aethetic_pruner...

Perfect!! Thank you very much for taking the time to explain this to me step-by-step. I understand everything you said. If you like, I can show you a pic when I am all finished staking it. Do you think the branches at the top will eventually bend down or are they always going to grow in one direction straight up like in the picture. Maybe by pruning this wishbone branch off, it will put more energy into the tree. Thanks again for all your wonderful help.

Bookmark   March 18, 2010 at 12:22AM
botann(z8 SEof Seattle)

The branches will not bend down. You bought an upright grower, not a weeper. Nevertheless, a nice tree.
I agree that the lowest limb should be pruned.

Bookmark   March 18, 2010 at 11:20AM
More Discussions
Acer Griseum grafting
I have found a medium sized Acer Griseum on the side...
peat23
Will this graft take and I need to put a bag over it?
Two days ago I grafted a clipping from a Sugar Maple...
Timothy Wood
Japanese cultivars requiring the least sun (Zone 5)
Japanese Maple Cultivars Requiring The Least Amount...
directorrod
Japanese Maple concerns
The tree has two main branches. Is that normal? Also...
420benz
split trunk on new japanese maple
Hi. With the snow and ice from this year our tree ,...
lkps
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™