2 questions (ID maple and is it too late to repot?)

crizq0March 20, 2013

So this is my mom's maple that she probably purchased probably close to 10 yrs ago from a local nursery. I was wondering if you guys can ID what kind of maple is it. It is about 5 ft tall and just leafed out in the past week here in the bay area, CA. Is it a kamagata?

I understand the roots are very sensitive and wanted to know if it is also too late to repot to separate the plants? I want to have this maple in it own pot and not shared by another plant. If not, I can always wait till next year.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
crizq0

Nevermind that, it probably isn't Kamagata. Definitely not a dwarf. According to vertree's, an 8 yr plant would be 3 ft tall.

Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 10:43PM
crizq0

So I decided not to repot till early next season since the maple was leafing. But something interesting with the way this maple is leafing. Half the tree, the leaves are furled up and the other half looks nice luscious green. Is this normal? I'm going to assume the other plant that is sharing the pot is probably affecting the roots on that side of the tree.

Right side looks good and left side looks furled below.

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 1:49AM
MapleMan420

First of all That is an Okushimo on the left which is your desired cultivar and the basic acer rootstock on the right. Personally I would cut off the non-furled tree on the right (standard Jap. Acer rootstock) leaving just the okushimo. Wait until next winter seperate that jade plant out of the pot so it can get over having over half of it's foliage removed. Okushimo is a vase shaped upright that gets pretty tall but containerized it will stay relatively short. The curled leaves are not only normal but desirable on this one. That's what gives it character. Just get rid of the dime a dozen acer rootstock tree that is taking over.

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 4:19PM
More Discussions
Refreshing dirt in potted trees
Hi guys - I have 2 Japanese Maples in wine barrels....
minflick
Tamukeyama Japanese maple
What are the growing habits of this tree. Hight, weeping...
420benz
Planting a Sugar Maple seed.
Hello! I've got a beautiful Sugar Maple in my yard,...
Pippers
Best Mail Order Nurseries for Japanese Maples
I would like to order a few Japanese Maple trees but...
alameda/zone 8
Is this japanese maple dying?
I've have this young beni schichihenge for its first...
ledouchebag
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™