crates for plants

hedwig(QLD Brisbane)February 2, 2006

I'm starting out, transplanting and sowing and trabnsplanting and sowing...

I have lots of this small but tall pots, some bigger ones and I would like to put them together in crates. First the handling is easier second I have to ensure that the brush turkeys, possums and other animals are not playing with my plants.

I search a real CHEAP method. What do you use (perhaps with photo that ios easier to understand)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I use the black plastic totes sold as "bulb crates" - look for them through any large bulb wholesaler. Around here you can find them for $6 (US). This year I am taking some of my older crates and cutting out the bottoms flush with the side walls, this way I can snap this modified crate onto a regular crate to extend its walls (the crates lock into place one on top of another).

They are very tough. I grow out the plants in pots sitting in the crates. On market day I simply remove any less than perfect plants and stick in a replacement - this makes loading very easy. I also sell directly from the crate at the market - this save time.

    Bookmark   February 2, 2006 at 1:17PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hedwig(QLD Brisbane)

hi trianglejohn,
thanks for answering! What are bulb crates? Crates for plant bulbs?? They are sold by nursery suppliers?
(you shurely recognized that english is not my mother tounge)

    Bookmark   February 3, 2006 at 5:10AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I think that if you google "bulb crate" you can find a catalog with pictures. They are black plastic open top boxes. The walls and bottom are perforated and ribbed, sort of like coarse rigid mesh. They are used to transport flower bulbs. Some commercial flower growers actually grow out their plants in the bulb crate filled with media. The best feature is that they stack on top of each other and sort of lock into place. They aren't the prettiest thing around but very functional.

    Bookmark   February 3, 2006 at 2:17PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

You may be able to get those bulb crates from a perennial plant grower in your area. Free or at a very reduced rate.

    Bookmark   February 9, 2006 at 8:25AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

The bulb crates are like milk crates.

    Bookmark   February 12, 2006 at 7:09PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hedwig(QLD Brisbane)

milk crates - a very good idea! Do you use them? And were do you get them?

    Bookmark   February 19, 2006 at 6:35PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Emergency: using unvented propane in greenhouse - help!
Hey everyone, I'm hoping someone with some experience...
Spinach harvest
Testing out these new forums, but I thought I would...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
Tomato grafting
I've been thinking of trying it for a few years, and...
The new season has started
First planting of carrots are planted. Sorry the picture...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
Winter market 2015
Last week during the first winter thaw here I cut forsythia...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™