Has anyone grown Grady Bailly Greasy Cutshort beans?

Ispahan Zone6a ChicagoNovember 13, 2010

Hi all,

I may be trading for some Grady Bailly Greasy Cutshort seeds in the near future. Has anyone grown this bean and, if so, can you tell me about flavor, production, temperature tolerance (heat and cold), etc.?

I noticed that Southern Exposure Seed Exchange sold it in their 2009 catalogue and described it as "Heirloom OP 80 days. Highly productive white-seeded greasy bean. Very tender, large seeds." It is also sold in the Sustainable Mountain Agriculture bean catalogue, where it is listed as coming from Polk County, North Carolina and being a good seller among greasy beans.

Just curious to see if anyone here has firsthand experience with this bean.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
macmex

Sorry, I have't tried this one.
Did you receive my response, via e-mail, to your message, last week?

George
Tahlequah, OK

Bookmark   November 15, 2010 at 12:54PM
Ispahan Zone6a Chicago

Thanks, George. Just sent a reply to your e-mail. Sorry about the delay.

I think I should rephrase my question. I hope to be able to grow George's wonderful sounding Tennessee Cutshort beans next year. They sound like everything I am looking for in a pole bean: meaty, tender and widely adaptable.

That being said, if you had only limited growing space and can have only two pole beans, would a greasy bean like Grady Bailly be sufficiently different in taste and texture from Tennessee Cutshort to justify growing them? Or should I go for something completely different like a pole shelly?

I have grown Blue Lake bush beans for several years, but I tend not to like wimpy, slender snaps. Otherwise I would choose something like Fortex as my second pole bean. But I would rather grow something more interesting and maybe work toward preserving a heritage variety.

Bookmark   November 15, 2010 at 2:14PM
galina

ispahan

I have grown this bean here in Central England. Did not expect a huge amount because the weather and climate are very different from Bill Best's, but I was very pleasantly surprised. It did exactly what it said it would do. Although quite a bit later than 80 days, this bean was not too late for us. Seedsaving was easy too.

We ate the pods when they were well filled, fairly mature and they were really good too. I can recommend this bean. It certainly coped fine with our colder climate.

Bookmark   November 15, 2010 at 4:13PM
More Discussions
How is the harvest going?
Just wondering how everyone's harvest results have...
deanriowa
if you don't like getting emails every time someone replies...
Click on "Your Houzz", Edit Profile, Advanced...
fusion_power
where to find Hilda/Helda romano pole beans?
Two yeas ago health problems interfered with getting...
matthias_lang
Shelly Beans
I was just discussing an heirloom bean, "Ma Williams",...
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
Genetics of Phaseolus lunatus
I really enjoy some of the colorful pole limas, but...
theodosiaunderwood
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™