Most popular Potted Flower ?

organic__bandyFebruary 10, 2005

Greetings everyone, first time poster. I was just wondering, as far as sales go what the most popular potted flower is at markets? I dont have time to grow vegetables for market as im growing another business but i do have space and time for a single variety flower or plant. I have a market less than 1 mile that is heavily visited. i am also thinkink of using a local online comunity to market through. Any feed back would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenguru1950(SunsetZ16)

I'm not sure what the most popular potted plant is at Farmers' Markets. I'm not even sure if I've ever seen anyone at Farmers' Markets growing but ONE type of potted flower.

But I do know that the most popular potted flower in the nursery busines is geranium (Pelargonium).

There are seed strains available for those who want to "grow their own" (you?) and there are vegetative types available (as plug-rooted cuttings, simple rooted cuttings, and un-rooted cuttings).

The seed strains are adequate and would be enough to get you started. If you do well in your first year or two, I'm sure you'll move up to the vegetative types.

Joe

Bookmark   February 12, 2005 at 3:03PM
bigred(z8 Ark.)

I don't take many annual type except fancy coleus and in 1 gal. unusual annuals like south african foxglove,cat whiskers,lopeza,ect.but most want perennials. My best selling perennial would be daylilies. I do take some house plants with fancy leaf begonias being the top sellers.I also take african violets and flame violets but they're slow to move.This year I'm adding small leafed-ivy plants in 5" pots to the house plants I sell.Wanted to try yellow impatients but they're cost prohibited.

PP

Bookmark   February 24, 2005 at 10:01AM
CorysProduce(z7 Maryland)

I know at the stand geraniums and mums are by far the most popular potted plants

Bookmark   February 24, 2005 at 8:19PM
More Discussions
Mara des bois strawberry?
I have just discovered Mara des bois strawberry and...
cedar_wa
Selling Tomato Plants?
We have a small produce farm, and we sell everything...
tawnyap1
Winter market, 2015
Darn phone, it said this message was rejected. Sorry...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
Hoss seeder
Anyone using a Hoss Seeder? Please post a review. Thanks...
whfpa
Starting an urban farm
Greetings all. I have read a great deal on these forums...
chardy_har_har
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™