Sweet Peas?

florida-belle(SWFL - Zone 10)November 1, 2013

Forgive me if I'm using the wrong name, but has anyone had any luck growing sweet peas (yes, the vegetable) in zone 10? I'm in Port Charlotte (FL) and new to vegetable gardening. If they're difficult to grow in my zone, perhaps you could suggest some easy-to-grow vegetables for fall.

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farmerdill

Since sweet pea is normally asoociated with the ornamental Lathyrus odoratus which is toxic, I would prefer that you use the name English pea or garden pea. According to the University of Florida they should be planted in your area September -February. In this area of Georgia I plant late November - February with good results.

Here is a link that might be useful: English peas in Florida

Bookmark   November 1, 2013 at 5:55PM
zackey(GA 8b)

What area of Georgia are you in Farmerdill? I'm in 8b GA and I never seem to get my peas in on time. The Univ. of Fl. recommends January, but I'm ready to plant in December now. It gets too hot before they are finished in May.

Bookmark   November 2, 2013 at 6:49PM
farmerdill

Augusta. In th e photo above, the large blossoming plants were planted thansgiving, those just to right mid December, and the little ones to the right of onions February 1. All did exceedingl well this year.

Bookmark   November 2, 2013 at 8:16PM
wertach zone 7-B SC

I'm like zackey. I'm in 7b SC and I never seem to get my peas in on time either!

Fall planting doesn't work for me at all.

If I plant in late Feb. and the weather cooperates I get some. But it seems to go from too cold for germination and growth, then it gets too hot for making peas.

I had perfect weather for growing this spring, but it was too wet to get them planted! I have built a raised bed just for peas, for next year. I plan to sprout them before planting.

People that say that they don't like English peas have never ate them fresh from the garden! It is one of my favorites!

Bookmark   November 4, 2013 at 2:09PM
More Discussions
Marvel of Venice
I'd like to try a couple of plants of the yellow pole...
barbge
Gialet della Val Belluna Bean
Has anyone grown this, or know anything about it? I...
rosieo
Stringless pole bean?
Hello, I would like to find a good pole bean that has...
cowabunga1
if you don't like getting emails every time someone replies...
Click on "Your Houzz", Edit Profile, Advanced...
fusion_power
How is the harvest going?
Just wondering how everyone's harvest results have...
deanriowa
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™