Where do you get your produce containers/boxes?

hockingappleFebruary 22, 2014

I'm going to be new to the "market gardening" thing this year, and I've been trying to find an on-line source for boxes and other type containers that I would take my produce (mostly tomatoes, squash and zucchini) to market in. I'm talking about containers that are specifically for produce (flats, for example). Haven't had much luck finding what I'm looking for. Do any of you have an on-line source you could share for such items?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
myfamilysfarm

Montespkg.com is one. Another is glaciervalley.com. Monte, I've used. GlacierValley was a new vendor at my spring conference, they are set up for smaller growers.

Where are you located? If near an Amish community, you might be able to get boxes thru them. Especially if they have a produce auction. They buy a large amount and then sell to their growers and others.

Marla

Bookmark   February 22, 2014 at 1:32PM
little_minnie(zone 4a)

I get lots from the grocery store where I work. The tomato and strawberry boxes stack nicely for bringing tomatoes. The sweet potato, apple or pepper boxes are great for peppers, eggplant and summer squash. Banana boxes are good for root veggies and squash and melons. I get small tray boxes from the grocery and dairy departments for people buying a few plants in spring.

There is a local old couple that make bushel baskets and till baskets so I have those too. I like the ones called squats. If you have a truck with topper or van the cardboard boxes are fine. I do not have a topper but it doesn't rain very often on market day and if the boxes get wet I just take home more.

Bookmark   February 22, 2014 at 7:44PM
boulderbelt(5/6)

Buckhorn Plastics out of Milford, OH has really wonderful plastic stacking/nesting crates but this is a wholesaler so they do have a minimum. You can get their crates with no min. via Nolt's produce supplies in Leola, PA

Here is a link that might be useful: Buckhorn Plastics

Bookmark   February 23, 2014 at 6:27PM
More Discussions
Micro Green mix help
Lately, I've been getting demand for micro greens in...
theripetomatofarm
Finding the right market
Other thread getting too long and going in too may...
2ajsmama
Kalettes / Flower Sprouts
I'm sure a lot of you have heard the recent hype, or...
ekgrows
Wanted: 4 row seeder
I'm in the market for a 4 row pinpoint seeder, the...
sundacks
Hoss seeder
Anyone using a Hoss Seeder? Please post a review. Thanks...
whfpa
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™