Have they already weeded me out??

karmann(z5 NY)July 9, 2005

Two weeks ago, on a Monday, my local paper runs a small item that the Master Gardener program is seeking new volunteers to take the training course. On Tuesday I call them and leave a message with my name and phone number. No reply for days, so Friday I call again, once again leave a message with same info. Later that day someone calls me back, and I explain that I am very interested in becoming a volunteer and would love to take the training program. She is going to put my application in the mail on Tuesday. (It was kind of strange but she didn't ask me for my address; I kind of had to prompt her to take it.) So, that was supposed to be Tuesday; here is it Saturday and no application in the mail (it's only one town over where she was going to mail it from and it would, at most, take two days.)

So, what do you suggest I do (if anything?) Call again? Frankly I'm getting a little annoyed. Or have they perhaps already decided against me? (Both mesages I left were brief-ish, very friendly and positive. And I was equally friendly and positive on the phone with the woman.)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dicentra(z6B)

I would call again, or better yet, pick up the application in person before they have a full count of people for the class. I tried for several weeks to get the MG application and the coordinator on the phone, then I finally got someone who could barely speak on a phone...so I just printed the application out from the Internet and mailed it off, with a voice message to the MG staff that my application was in the mail. If I had waited around for something in the mail from them, I may have missed the chance for the interviews and so forth. Be a little forward, gracefully, if you really want to enter the program. I don't think they're ignoring you. It may be chaos on their end, or very few people covering the admin base.
All the best...
Trish

Bookmark   July 10, 2005 at 12:30AM
More Discussions
Just venting
Hello everyone, I'm Marion and I finished my second...
plantmasterm
cleaning a rain barrel
Hi all, I just bought a 300 gallon tote that I plan...
finnickyaboutgreen
Walnut tree mulch
We had a walnut tree in our back yard, we have had...
Gardner2013
Mixed messages
I'm about halfway through my MG training program. I...
swlyn
I'm excited, I just registered for the course!
Hi everyone, I'm really excited, I just registered...
nannerbelle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™