Insuk's Wang Kong question

christie_sw_mo(Z6)November 21, 2011

I had three vines which produced a grand total of three beans in two pods. One of the beans was eaten by something and the two that are left are blue. They're not dried yet but I think they were mature. Not sure. Are they supposed to be blue?

We had a record hot summer and I think that's why they didn't do well. I'd like to try them again next summer.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
happyday(WI4a)

The black ones are blue as shellies and the mauve ones are hot pink as shellies. If your blue beans are plump, not wrinkled, and if they dry down to black, there is a good chance they will be good to plant next year.

Bookmark   November 21, 2011 at 9:32PM
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

Thank you Happyday. I didn't get any hot pink ones. Maybe next time. I haven't had much experience growing beans. That's interesting about the colors.

Bookmark   November 22, 2011 at 6:51AM
fusion_power

There are three colors that I saw in IWK, pure white beans, mottled similar to Scarlet Runner, and pure black. They are more tolerant of heat that any other runner bean I've tried, but they do NOT like heat. You can grow them if planted extremely early, as in 2 weeks before last frost, and planted on the north side of a tall crop such as corn. This may not seem like much microclimate modification, but it gave me a huge crop of beans in North Alabama.

DarJones

Bookmark   November 22, 2011 at 2:35PM
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

Thank you DarJones - I will try more shade next time. I planted mine on the east side of a three foot tall retaining wall. I had a trellis so they could climb on up past the wall but they didn't want to go there. Too hot. The top of the vines died where they were in full sun.

Bookmark   November 22, 2011 at 10:35PM
happyday(WI4a)

If the wall was brick or concrete, maybe the heat from the wall was too much for them. Try planting them on a trellis in the garden next time.

Bookmark   November 23, 2011 at 2:28AM
jwr6404(8B Wa)

Christie
If you happen to need more seeds let me know. I have plenty and can send you some.

Jim

Bookmark   November 29, 2011 at 10:33PM
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

Thank you for the offer Jim but I have some left overs and I think they should still be viable. I won't plant them in the same spot again.

Bookmark   December 4, 2011 at 6:25PM
More Discussions
where to find Hilda/Helda romano pole beans?
Two yeas ago health problems interfered with getting...
matthias_lang
True Heirloom Romano Pole Beans
I've been ordering Romano pole beans for the past few...
fignut
if you don't like getting emails every time someone replies...
Click on "Your Houzz", Edit Profile, Advanced...
fusion_power
Brown bunch beans---info....please.
My 3 rows of KY Wonder bush bean played their best...
utdeedee
Storage System for Bean Collection
Hello, London Seedy Saturday was yesterday and besides...
LoboGothic
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™