Fava bean seedlings and cold tolerance

ryank817November 26, 2013

So I'm about to leave town for 4-5 days for Thanksgiving, and it's going to get quite cold (for this part of GA) while I'm gone, low 20's almost every night. I planted some Windsor Broad Beans in a raised bed a few weeks ago, and on average they're about 3-5 inches tall now. I know fava beans thrive in cold weather, but can seedlings that young and small handle such cold weather with likely freezing? I have a plastic cover I've been putting over them on cold nights, but I don't know if leaving it on all night and day while I'm gone would do more harm than good. Any thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
drloyd

How about something like Remay that would offer some protection without cooking them in the daytime?
Dick

Bookmark   November 27, 2013 at 9:03AM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Favas don't really 'thrive' in cold weather. They sit it out but they won't be growing. They survive better when they are short than taller ime. I agree that fleece would be better than plastic as it breathes and lets in moisture.

Bookmark   November 28, 2013 at 7:53AM
ryank817

I actually ended up using a bale of hay my wife had been using for fall decoration. I spread it over the whole bed at least 6 inches deep, so even though they won't get much sun, it's only for 4-5 days and they should get some insulation from the freezing temps without getting baked during the day. I'll post about how they end up doing once we get back.

Bookmark   November 28, 2013 at 8:04AM
More Discussions
Japanese Sword Beans
Anyone grow these. Kitizawa seed company offers them....
denninmi
black gandules
Hi, does anyone know where I can find black gandules?...
ily68
Gialet della Val Belluna Bean
Has anyone grown this, or know anything about it? I...
rosieo
Marvel of Venice
I'd like to try a couple of plants of the yellow pole...
barbge
Purple king beans
Hi I've grown runner beans before and found they do...
chloe456
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™