Deer resistant crops

jjOH(z6OH)February 17, 2005

I want to plant some berries and or veggies that the deer will not bother. I have about 3 acres under cultivation now. I also grow 100 miles from home and don't have access to lots of water. I grew corn last year and the deer and raccoons ate all of it in some fields and walked around it in others. I grew peas with great success in 2003 and moved them 50 feet in 2004 and the deer ruined my crop. They have never bothered a pumpkin in 5 growing seasons.

Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
garliclady(z7 NC)

They have never bothered my garlic and it is not a daily mantained crop requiring lots of water. But it is not the best time to plant garlic and i doubt you would want a 3 acre field of it but maybe you could plant a couple rows.

Bookmark   February 17, 2005 at 1:53PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
anniew(4-5/PA)

Deer resistance seems to be based on the population of the deer. Just like us: if we are hungry enough, we'll eat things we wouldn't likely eat otherwise.
Having said that, they seem to not eat rhubarb, asparagus and onion family members including garlic. Most of the rest is a gamble. I think they will eat some of your pumpkin leaves plus the fruits if the deer become numerous enough.
This is a question we all struggle with. I've fenced in about three acres, and now have problems with woodchucks and moles/voles, because nothing can get them that would be their natural predators!
Good luck.
Ann

Bookmark   February 17, 2005 at 3:29PM
More Discussions
Bed Shaper
Quick question, does anyone use a bed shaper? I am...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
Spinach harvest
Testing out these new forums, but I thought I would...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
Kalettes / Flower Sprouts
I'm sure a lot of you have heard the recent hype, or...
ekgrows
electric mantis tiller?
I am thinking of getting one for use in hoop houses....
jnjfarm_gw
One woman, seven acres
Hi there. I've been reading this forum for nearly eight...
briannaorg
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™