I want to do this right..........

bkfisher(z5 IN)April 18, 2007

Given the recent carnage inflicted by mother nature, I want to make certain the next trees I plant are properly placed to ensure long-term success. I have the following on order:

*Coonera Pygmy

*Orange Dream

*Mikawa Yatsubusa

Living in central Indiana where summer temperatures can reach the nineties, my biggest question is how much direct sun can these varieties take? I don't plan on using them all in full sun but if you had to choose one, which would it be? I have a spot with westerly exposure and little shade that is now vacant and needs a new resident tree.

I would prefer to use the Mikawa in this spot but dont' want to burn it up in the dog days.

bkfisher

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mattlwfowler

In my experience 'mikawa yatsubusa' seems to hold up well compared to many others (and I'm in south car.). I haven't had my 'orange dream' long enough to give you a good answer there, but from what I can tell it should hold up as good if not better than the 'mikawa yatsubusa'. I would say the 'coonera pygmy' would be the weakest, but I'm going here on what I've read as I don't have it yet.

Bookmark   April 18, 2007 at 9:29PM
dawgie(z7NC)

Mikawa yatsubusa is extremely slow-growing and dwarf in size, if that has any bearing on your decision. From what I have read, it will only reach 3-4' tall after many years. I have one that I bought as a 1-year graft last spring, and it was the slowest growing of the dozen or so newly grafted JMs I have bought over the past few years. It seemed to handle sun just fine, though, and the sun is hot in NC. It is a very attractive maple, and I'll probably keep mine in a container indefinitely due to its small size and growth rate.

Bookmark   April 18, 2007 at 10:55PM
bkfisher(z5 IN)

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I got the Mikawa in the mail yesterday. I think I got a deal! $45.00 and the tree is three feet tall! Multi-branched too.

bkfisher

Bookmark   April 19, 2007 at 6:56AM
dawgie(z7NC)

That's a great price for a 3' tall Mikawa. I paid $15 for mine, but it probably will take 5 years or more to reach that size -- which is fine because I plan to keep it on a container anyway. Where did you order your trees from?

I've ordered most of my JMs from Worldplants.com. Their trees are nice and well-packed, but generally small first-year grafts.

Bookmark   April 19, 2007 at 7:42AM
bkfisher(z5 IN)

It was one of those "buy it now" deals on Ebay. The seller was out of Oregon. He/she still has some deals on Ebay (page6-7???) under "japanese maple". I know one tree they're offering is a Burning Embers.

bkfisher

Bookmark   April 19, 2007 at 9:31AM
bkfisher(z5 IN)

Here's a link to that seller's offering of a nice Glowing Embers.

bkfisher

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to maple seller

Bookmark   April 19, 2007 at 10:07AM
mattlwfowler

I'm personally not overly impressed with 'glowing embers' yet...no special spring or summer color from what I can tell. Supposedly it is spectacular in fall, but I haven't seen this yet so I might change my mind this october. It is supposed to be heat tolerant, so perhaps it still may be of some use.

Bookmark   April 19, 2007 at 2:22PM
More Discussions
help choosing a tree
I want to put a row of trees between my neighbor and...
bucks5022004
Need help with struggling Jap Maple
CHeck out these pictures my Japanese maple isn't doing...
djiancharles
split trunk on new japanese maple
Hi. With the snow and ice from this year our tree ,...
lkps
Acer Griseum grafting
I have found a medium sized Acer Griseum on the side...
peat23
Will this graft take and I need to put a bag over it?
Two days ago I grafted a clipping from a Sugar Maple...
Timothy Wood
Sponsored Products
Willow 3 Drawer Coffee Table
Overstock.com
White Two-Light Adjustable Table Lamp
$68.95 | Bellacor
Gold Honeycomb Rug
$39.99 | zulily
Furniture of America Carina Cappuccino Hallway Mirror
Overstock.com
Spotlight Floor Lamp in White
$179.99 | Dot & Bo