Japanese Maple or Weeping Texas Redbud

kate38April 11, 2012

We have a circular driveway with about a 10-12' diameter grassy area for planting. We are in Zone 8 and have narrowed our choice down to either a Japanese Maple or a Weeping Texas Redbud. The area gets morning sun (eastern exposure). We don't want the tree to grow more than 10-12' tall. Our deciding factor may well be which one looks best longest throughout the year. May I have opinions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
houstontexas123(z9a)

i have had several small potted JM's for 5 years. every summer they get scorched leaves due to sun and heat. even when i had them under the east facing porch with morning sun. JM's are usually slow growing. you may want to check out the Shantung/Fire Dragon maples over at Metro Maple or do a search for them here. Lou has a few of them, very nice specimens. i believe he's in z8 also.

i'm not sure about the Weeping Redbug.

Bookmark   April 13, 2012 at 10:25PM
drrich2(6)

A typical shantung maple will get taller than 12 feet.

Out of curiosity, did you consider either the European (e.g.: Velvet Clock) or for that matter the American Smoke Bush/Tree? Hopefully fairly tolerant of a hot climate, some purple-leaved options, not real tall (at least the European), etc...

Richard.

Bookmark   April 15, 2012 at 8:40PM
kate38

I like the look of the Velvet cloak, so we'll put that one on our list. BTW, we did some digging in the yard over the weekend and the hardness of the clay soil makes us feel like we're chopping rock. But then, they haven't had rain for three weeks in the area.

Bookmark   April 19, 2012 at 11:23AM
lou_midlothian_tx(z8 DFW, Tx)

Richard, Metro Maples will be soon selling a shantung maple called Super Dragon that has bright yellow leaves. It is supposed to stay small. It can handle full sun just fine.

Function, are you talking about Traveller Redbud? It looks pretty cool. It will handle sun during hot weather much better than Japanese maples. Houston is right about JMs getting scorched in a lot of sun even on the east side of house, trees.

Bookmark   April 20, 2012 at 10:55PM
picea(6A Cinci- Oh)

Traveller is a cool looking plant but I would be concerned that it might not be large enough for that location. Not sure of its ultimate size. Another option might be a weeping blue atlas cedar if there is enough sun and moisture. There is also a weeping Kaki persimmon that might look good there.

David

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 12:04AM
More Discussions
Need help with struggling Jap Maple
CHeck out these pictures my Japanese maple isn't doing...
djiancharles
Has anyone ordered a Jap. Maple online
Looking for a lace leaf japanese maple around 3 Gal....
420benz
Dip N Grow on Maples?
Hey, I was just wondering. Does anyone know if Dip...
Timoth26
Zone 5a and 4b Hardy Japanese Maple Cultivars
This past winter should be a good indicator as to what...
whaas_5a
Japanese Maple scion wood
Hello, Have a lot of Maple seedlings Anybody wants...
korina77
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™