for next year..ummmmm

gizzardfarm(7A)December 27, 2007

Hey guys i live and grow in southern Tennessee close to the Alabama/Georgia/Tennessee line. I usually grow Macasline (spelled wrong im sure) and Kentucky wonder. Next year i would like to add a few more varities any suggestions? Im about sold on Rattlesnake and maybe blue lake.. I have never grown bush beans but am not opposed to them.. one more factor i sell at the local farmers market so i need lots of beans..good ones..

thanks

gizzard

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fusion_power

Go to www.sandhillpreservation.com and check out their bean varieties. They are updating the website so give it a few days. One you will enjoy is Blue Marbutt. The beans are a very nice eyepleasing blue/purple color and make very good flavored canning beans or for fresh snaps. Wait until Glenn gets these listed and then order. He has about 3 gallons of seed, but I expect he will sell out this season. They are excellent! If you are interested in lima beans, the Carolina Red are an excellent sieva variety for our climate. they are very pretty seed and taste is outstanding.

You might also check out Fortex and Emerite which are two nice beans for market. They are not much for canning. If you have a market for wide flat Roma type beans, check out Musica.

musica

fortex

Emerite

Sandhill website

DarJones

Bookmark   December 28, 2007 at 12:07AM
hairymooseknuckles

Check out some of these.

Here is a link that might be useful: Greasy Beans

Bookmark   December 28, 2007 at 6:05AM
jwr6404(8B Wa)

gizzard
Read the thread on Insuk's Wang Kong(runner bean),this forum.If interested I can send you some seed.
Jim

Bookmark   December 28, 2007 at 3:53PM
gizzardfarm(7A)

Thanks Ya'll keep those suggestions coming.. as far as my own taste i love to eat mccaslines and kentucky wonders but im looking for snap beans that will really produce loads of beans for market.. tell me about half runners and bush beans as far as numbers and taste..

gizzard

Bookmark   December 28, 2007 at 5:01PM
jwm1960

You are growing two good pole snap beans for your area (McCaslan and Kentucky Wonder).

Black Valentine is a productive snap bush bean and it's noted for its taste. It's done well for me the last two years and we've been in a drought since Katrina came thru in 2005.

My mother-in-law likes Romano pole beans for their flavor.

I've never grown it but Fortex is said to be a very good flavored pole bean that's productive and stringless. I looked for seeds of it last year but everyone was already sold out so if you decide to try it I would suggest you get your seeds early.

Bookmark   December 29, 2007 at 5:20PM
macheske(6/7 NorthernVA)

Fedco is already out of Fortex....

Bookmark   December 29, 2007 at 7:38PM
More Discussions
True Heirloom Romano Pole Beans
I've been ordering Romano pole beans for the past few...
fignut
A roll call, who is still here and staying after the "upgrade"?
Harry are you still here? I hope so! You have always...
wertach zone 7-B SC
black gandules
Hi, does anyone know where I can find black gandules?...
ily68
Genetics of Phaseolus lunatus
I really enjoy some of the colorful pole limas, but...
theodosiaunderwood
Margaret Best Greasy Cut Short
These took 66 days to the first picking. I planted...
shuffles_gw
Sponsored Products
Kraus Typhon Single Lever Bas-inch Faucet
Overstock.com
30 Inch Glossy White Bathroom Vanity Set
TheBathOutlet
Stag Guardian Bookends
$69.99 | Dot & Bo
Two King 406TC Embroidered Pillowcases
$176.00 | Horchow
Patio Living Concepts Outdoor Lighting. Catalina Bronze Outdoor Floor Lamp with
Home Depot