Help with JM Size

edb2n(7)April 20, 2007

I landscaped our new house about three years ago, and at the time knew very little about gardening. I bought a Bloodgood JM because it was beautiful and I knew very little about it except that JM's were "small." Anyway, I planted it in a little nook of the house. It's about a 4'x4' square with house on two sides and sidewalk on two sides. I now know that this tree is way too big for this spot and I never should have planted it there. Having said that, it's beautiful where it is and I would love to leave it. Is that at all possible? Can I root-prune it to slow growth as well as pruning it for size? Or do I need to bite the bullet and move it?

Of course, all that may be moot. I'm waiting to see if it will survive the freeze two weeks ago.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dawgie(z7NC)

I would wait until late fall or early winter and then move it. Bloodgoods will eventually grow more than 20' tall and just about as wide. You might be able to grow some of the dwarf or threadleaf JM varieties in that spot, such as Kamagata, Mikawa yatsubusa, Koto no ito, Villa taranto, Beni ubi gohan. Most dissectum varieties, although relatively small in height, will grow wider than tall, so I would avoid them.

Bookmark   April 24, 2007 at 9:59AM
More Discussions
October Glory/ Sun Valley Maple growth habit question/input pls
Hello everyone. I am in a bit of a spot. I want a nice...
RGodman
Acer Griseum grafting
I have found a medium sized Acer Griseum on the side...
peat23
Planting a Sugar Maple seed.
Hello! I've got a beautiful Sugar Maple in my yard,...
Pippers
Is it ok to plant Bloodgood at December in zone 7a?
I got two 45 gallon Bloodgood JM trees on my driveway....
Pro320
Japanese cultivars requiring the least sun (Zone 5)
Japanese Maple Cultivars Requiring The Least Amount...
directorrod
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™