Need MG's expertise

Fleur(z5)September 5, 2004

I'm the hort chairman for our county fair. One class of flowers to be exhibited include the following lots:

1. One bloom

2. One spike

3. One spray

4. One stem

The one bloom and one spike examples are easy to find...ie. rose, dahlia for bloom; delphinium, glads for spike. I'd like your opinions on examples for the "spray" and "stem" catagories. Do your MG books have a definition for either of them, Is it the configuration of the secondary stems like only one bloom at the end versus multi blooms as fall asters? I'd be grateful for the information. (Maybe we need to change things next year.) Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
andie_rathbone(Tyler, TX - 7B)

We don't coer flower shows in our MG classes, but a good resource would be your yourstate garden club organization. They publiash a handbook that governs all flower shows with judging criteria. They are also a good resource for judges. It's pretty amazing what the criteria is.

BTW, have you considered doing a design section? I think tht's the best part of flower shows.

Here is a link that might be useful: National Council of State Grden Clubs

Bookmark   September 5, 2004 at 3:40PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Fleur(z5)

We do have a Design Section and that causes no problem. A flower show judge and multi ribbon winner helps with that (thank heavens).

Bookmark   September 5, 2004 at 8:26PM
More Discussions
What plants go over well at your sales?
Hello all, I'm a MG intern, hoping to graduate this...
mrs.b_in_wy
Age demographics?
I know this is a bizarre question but its something...
celosia92
Walnut tree mulch
We had a walnut tree in our back yard, we have had...
Gardner2013
Straw Bale Gardening, seems to be taking over the world.
If you think you know everything about Straw Bale Gardening,...
Joel Karsten
Recruiting MGs
How did your MG group recruit you? Or what prompted...
zuni
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™