succession planting peas and pole beans?

emmers_m(9a/Sunset 7 N Cal)December 29, 2010

Hopefully I will get to plant a spring season in my garden for the first time this year, and I'm trying to get a handle on succession planting. I have 30' of trellis, which I want to cover in pole beans as soon as possible (except for the 2.5 feet I'm begrudging to a couple of cucumbers) and I'm wondering if I can first put peas on the trellis without delaying the pole beans.

Rough calculations would be planting peas April 1 (I think) and beans May 15, so the beans would be growing while the peas were bearing.

Has anyone had success (or not) with this?

Thanks!

~emmers

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
happyday(WI4a)

You mean grow the beans right over the peas? I haven't done it, but I guess you could do it. Probably the beans would start twining over the peas before the peas were done, so you would not be able to rip out the pea vines without damaging the beans. If so, you might have a problem with the powdery mildew that peas sometimes get as they finish, being transferred to the beans. If all your varieties are resistant, or if you spray with milk to stop the mildew (supposed to work by changing the leaf PH), or if you plant the peas on one side and the beans on the other so that you might have a chance at removing the peas without bean damage, it could work.

Try it and let us know how it goes!

Bookmark   December 29, 2010 at 1:50PM
More Discussions
Japanese Sword Beans
Anyone grow these. Kitizawa seed company offers them....
denninmi
What does "as soon as soil can be worked" really mean?
I know it might be a dumb question to ask because the...
beesneeds
Black spots on my string beans
For the past 3 years my beans will look beautiful and...
smokey28777
Stringless pole bean?
Hello, I would like to find a good pole bean that has...
cowabunga1
Jeminez
I just received some Jeminez seeds from Sand Hill....
shuffles_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™