Japanese maple came wrapped with clay

roarinrow(9)April 29, 2008

We bought two Japanese maple trees from Home Depot. When we pulled it out of the pot we noticed that the root was wrapped with some sort of clay and held together with a rice sack material.

We removed the plastic ties that held the rice sack material but left the clay that surrounded the root. Were we supposed to leave that? Is it there for protection or to hold water during transport?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roarinrow(9)

I just did another search on this site and the rice sack material other referred to here is called burlap (dur). Will there be a problem if we leave the clay wrapped around the root ball?

Bookmark   April 29, 2008 at 11:03AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roarinrow(9)

One the way to work I stopped by a nursery and asked my same question. What they said is that these Japanese maple trees are farmed in Oregon and that when it is time to be collected, a machine digs the tree from the ground, including the clay that it is grown in, then wrap it in burlap, potted with soil, then sent off to the stores. It is ok to just cut the binding from the top of the root ball where the burlap is tied, then plant the whole thing as is, clay and burlap. Eventually, the roots will break through. The burlap is very fragile. I could tear it with my hands. I could have left it on, but without it, it will just speed up the growth.

Bookmark   April 29, 2008 at 1:16PM
More Discussions
Species Acer Palmatum leaves turning red
I have a couple of species A.p. seedlings under lights...
ysrgrathe PA 6b
October Glory/ Sun Valley Maple growth habit question/input pls
Hello everyone. I am in a bit of a spot. I want a nice...
RGodman
Dip N Grow on Maples?
Hey, I was just wondering. Does anyone know if Dip...
Timoth26
Planting a Sugar Maple seed.
Hello! I've got a beautiful Sugar Maple in my yard,...
Pippers
Has anyone ordered a Jap. Maple online
Looking for a lace leaf japanese maple around 3 Gal....
420benz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™