price for agretti

mbrown297(6b)February 3, 2011

I will be growing agretti for the first time this year to sell to restaurants in my area. I can't find any information on price for this vegetable. Does anyone out there have any experience growing and selling it?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
andreaz6wv(6b)

I have never grown it as it would not be a seller where I am, but I would probably price it the same as herbs or a artisan lettuce.
I use to sell a bag a leaf lettuce for $2, but I think I am going to try another way next time around.
I sell herbs for a few $'s a bunch. Hope this helps some.

Bookmark   February 5, 2011 at 7:49PM
Ben39

I have no idea how to price Agretti but I would like to know the Germination period. I have planted some seeds that I bought from a nursery in New Mexico. I have bought other seeds there like Cardoon, Escarole, Rapini, and they have always been great. However my Agretti has not yet appeared I planted it about a fortnight ago. I live on the central coast of California near the ocean but I have a green house. Has anyone here grown Agretti before?

Bookmark   July 4, 2013 at 2:25PM
joeyvegies

Well I had to google Agretti and I'm definitely intrigued. Now to find convince my local Italian seed importer to get some. I think chefs would snap that stuff up.

The internet does say germination is usually only %40 and viability is around 3 months. Worse than parsnips!

Bookmark   July 6, 2013 at 5:02AM
albertine(z5b Idaho)

I tried it this spring, two plantings and got about 6 plants total. Found something online saying it was notorious for having a poor germination rate. When I was in New Mexico, I was staying on a place that had tons of tumbleweed, and found a reference saying that the young plants were edible and were sold in Italy under the name monks beards. it looks like they are a close relative of salsola, and they looked and tasted like them. I bet the germination rate is a little better with the tumbleweed! Not too sure about importing seed though.

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 2:33PM
More Discussions
Cash Rent for land
Quick question. I am looking for some ground to rent...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
Micro Greens -- Profitable?
I would like to hear from anyone growing and selling...
heirloom_lady
Winter market, 2015
Darn phone, it said this message was rejected. Sorry...
Gotta do something to increase sales, stay in business
This year was the worst yet, I've been doing this since...
2ajsmama
Winter markets, going better?
We had another winter market last Saturday. Due to...
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™