Pixie and Shaina in Zone 7?

jmnubieApril 6, 2009

I am currently obessed with these and will not rest until I find specific information(based on experience)about their perfomance in full all day south facing patio.

Does any one have experience growing these in full all day sun in Zone7(Atlanta, GA)? Do they burn? How badly? Will they eventually adapt to full sun and tolerate full sun better with time? How about maintaining there red color? Do they take pruning well?

There is lots of information on the web but I would like to hear from the horses mouth.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

A full, all day sun, south facing patio is not a good situation for any Japanese maple, regardless of specific location. First, while some JM's are indeed more sun and heat tolerant than others, ALL would prefer morning sun and then some shade from the intense, hot afternoon sun and many require it. Second, there is an issue of reflected heat from the paved surfaces of the patio. Third, and this was not specifically addressed, if these are going to be grown in containers, all bets are off.

Yes, they'll burn - even in the midwest (lower zone), most JM's in full sun experience scorch. It's even rather common in my very northerly, weak summer sun, zone 8 maritime climate. And coloring will be washed out by very intense sun, turning most red leaved selections a muddy green-bronze color. Will they outgrow it? It depends on the selection, your soil conditions and how much care you provide the plant with regards to watering, etc. but not always.

What you propose is just not preferred siting and places unnecessary stress on the trees. Is there nowhere else on your property these could be located?

Bookmark   April 7, 2009 at 11:06AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jmnubie

No, they will not be container grown. I would like to plant them where I can readily see them and both locations have full, all day sun.

Bookmark   April 7, 2009 at 10:21PM
More Discussions
Tamukeyama Japanese maple
What are the growing habits of this tree. Hight, weeping...
420benz
Will this graft take and I need to put a bag over it?
Two days ago I grafted a clipping from a Sugar Maple...
Timothy Wood
Central lead?
Had this tree planted in the fall and getting increasingly...
libratravel
Eric's Weeping Japanese Maple
I was at Home Depot yesterday and got this Eric's Japanese...
Allan870
Japanese Maple concerns
The tree has two main branches. Is that normal? Also...
420benz
Sponsored Products
Pixi 2 ft. x 2 ft. x 0.55 in. Thick White Commercial Grade 200-300 Volt Edge-Lit
Home Depot
Design Toscano Stretch Garden Pixie Sculpture - CL52463
$50.90 | Hayneedle
Pixi Beveled 1 ft. x 1 ft. x 0.55 in. Thick White 90-130 Volt Edge-Lit LED Flat
$79.96 | Home Depot
Pixi Beveled 1 ft. x 2 ft. x 0.55 in. Thick White 90-130 Volt Edge-Lit LED Flat
$99.96 | Home Depot
SomerTile 11.75x11.75-inch Posh Pixie Almond Porcelain Mosaic Tiles (Set of 10)
Overstock.com
Nespresso Aeroccino 3 Milk Frother
$99.00 | FRONTGATE
Design Toscano Pixie Fairy Metal Garden Stakes - MH11624
$38.90 | Hayneedle
Campania International Tipsey Pixie Cast Stone Garden Statue - S-387-AL
$129.99 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™