Mandevilla Plant

billjr(z6 CT)October 17, 2004

Hi,

I have a Mandevilla plant that is in a container on my deck here in Connecticut. I know it won't survive the winter outdoors, and have already brought it in the house and placed it in a bright area new a window. Can I keep it growing inside until next year, or will it still die off ? If it is possible to keep it growing inside, what special attention will it need ?

Thank You, Marge

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ltcollins1949(9a TX)

Well, I since my mandevilla plant stays outdoors all year, except during a very unusual cold spell, I know little about overwintering them in the house.

However, I did find the following website for you that might answer some of your questions: Mandevilla

Bookmark   October 18, 2004 at 11:43PM
judy_38(Dewey, az 86327)

Grew an mandevilla in Ma for about 10 years bringing it in in the winter, always did well. Love them, but haven't been able to find one here in AZ. Ordered one by mail but was sick when it arrived. Will a healty one make it in the dry climate, and if so is there a "good mail order source" Thanks in advance.

Bookmark   December 5, 2004 at 7:32PM
clfo(z7 with luck)

billjr,
Keep your mandevilla in a bright location and water when dry. It will go through a "vining phase" and put out some long stringy growth. It may also drop leaves. Just let it do what it will do, and don't fertilize. In late-February or early March, cut the plant back by one third to one half, and begin fertilizing.

In a northern climate, the worst thing about overwintering a mandevilla is that they don't come into bloom as quickly. If you put it outside when all frost danger is past, the plant will start blooming sometime in July or even August. You can buy a Mandevilla in bloom in May in the northeast.... your plant may be larger than what you could buy, but it will bloom later.

Bookmark   December 12, 2004 at 8:27PM
durgandurgan(5B)

Mandevilla amabilis 'Alice Dupont'. This plant was removed from the ground in October before a killing frost, and put in an eighteen inch pot, and stored in the basement. It was kept relatively dry until full watering was started in February. It was put in my small greenhouse in late March and thrived, and bloomed. It was put in the ground outside in full sun 25 May 2006. Last year the plant was never without flowers until the season ended. I have a white one but it is not blooming as yet, but is thriving. I notice the new shoots come from old growth not from under the soil.

Here is a link that might be useful: URL to three pictures 25 May 2006

Bookmark   May 25, 2006 at 6:54PM
More Discussions
What plants go over well at your sales?
Hello all, I'm a MG intern, hoping to graduate this...
mrs.b_in_wy
Rejected by the MN MG Program- Please Help
Today I found out that I was not accepted into the...
iclimbtrees
High Country Gardens has closed.
A favorite xeric and high country plant supplier has...
nmgirl
How was your year?
With the growing season winding down in a lot of the...
gardener_sandy
Can anyone help me identify...
This is growing on the side of the road - It think...
Cenepk10
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™