Dead Buds

acercon3(UK 8b)April 19, 2007

I have containerised garnet and seiryu maples and for consecutive seasons it would appear that a significant proportion of buds on each plant will not open.

These buds turn brown and die.

In the case of the seiryu the problem is particulary with terminal buds but not confined to .

After experiencing this last season I eventually cut off the dead branch parts. If I have to carry out a similar procedure I will begin to have plants that look stunted.

What causes this and is there anything that I can do to resolve the problem?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mattlwfowler

I have seen similar occurences quite often (although I'm not sure of the extent compared to yours) on several 'seiryu'. Sometimes the late summer growth is vigorous to the point that the terminal shoots do not have time to harden off before winter.

If there is a significant percentage of dead branches (say over 15 percent of the terminal shoots), you may have a more serious problem and we would likely need more information to help you out.

TBH we could really use some pictures and information about the growing conditions to narrow down the possibilties of what it could be.

Bookmark   April 19, 2007 at 2:37PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
acercon3(UK 8b)

Hi mattlwfowler

I posted a pic in the gallery , sorry about the quality.

I had very little 2 nd growth last year and after looking at the plant today I can say that there is a significant occurrence of dead buds.

Bookmark   April 22, 2007 at 7:17AM
More Discussions
Central lead?
Had this tree planted in the fall and getting increasingly...
libratravel
Tamukeyama Japanese maple
What are the growing habits of this tree. Hight, weeping...
420benz
Need help with struggling Jap Maple
CHeck out these pictures my Japanese maple isn't doing...
djiancharles
Central lead?
Had this tree planted in the fall and getting increasingly...
libratravel
Burlapping maples - any dangers?
We had a very harsh winter last year and I lost a couple...
ysrgrathe PA 6b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™