How does your state support farmers' markets

Tom1953(5)February 1, 2006

Hello: My wife and I traveled the lower east coast last year 2004 and I saw some signs on interstate announcing Farmers' Markets. These were not bill board but the sihns at the exits, like you see for gas and lodging. As for Ohio, well Ohio does little to help out. I understand we are in business but we also offer a service. Not only to the local families but for tourist too, I think we need to get the word out Eat Fresh buy here (local). Anyone else have an opinion please share. I'm involved in three Farmers' markets in my county and want to help out as much as I can.

Tom

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
snappybob(SaTexas Zone 8)

I my state, at least in San Antonio, where I live you have to go way out of your way to even find a farmers market. I had to do a google search to find some locations and times. A while back I called around trying to see what kind of permits, if any, you had to have just to sell excess garden produce on the side of the road. The department of agriculture said that if I was selling only produce that I grew myself that I didn't need any permits but that I should check with my city or county for anything they might require. The city said that I would need a mobile venders permit for $56 a year. A little steep for my purposes but I could probably swing it. Then they said that as of Jan. 1st, 2006 I had to have a background check for sexual preditors. Another $49 and about 1/2 day downtown to get fingerprinted by 3 different law enforcement agencies. The county goes by what ever laws that the city sets up so I can't just go outside the city limits. I think I will just go and sit by the road and sell my veggies on the weekend and if anybody says anything I'll just play dumb and hope for the best. If in some future post you see my zone turn up as cell block B you'll know what happened.

Bookmark   February 1, 2006 at 5:15PM
garliclady(z7 NC)

We have several large state built and run Farmers markets across our state . They are along major interstates.There is State agriculture website with links to all the state run markets as well as most other farmers markets in the state . They provide a free web page to any farmer who wants one on there site , They have several programs that promote farmers markets roadside stands and pick your own farms.
Here are the links to those...
http://www.agr.state.nc.us/markets/facilit/farmark/
http://www.ncfarmfresh.com/farmmarkets.asp
http://www.ncfarmfresh.com/
http://www.agr.state.nc.us/markets/gginc/store/

I feel we are forunate compared to some other states
The Garlic lady

Bookmark   February 1, 2006 at 7:09PM
aka_peggy(Central Md 6b)

Bob, that sounds so ridiculous...unless you have a past conviction of molesting vegetables:)

The area where I live (central Md) has several farmers markets within a 20 mile drive...and I live in a rural area. Some are in Maryland and other's are in W. Virginia. There are several others in Leesburg Va which is 25 mi. And yes there are signs along the roadside. Very nice signs too. (for a sign)

Maryland requires that you must grow whatever you sell, W.Virginia doesn't. As I understand it, market farmers in WV have a difficult time competing with vendors who buy their produce wholesale at a cheap price and pass it off as locally grown. I'm sure each state is different.

Like Garlic lady, we're very fortunate in that the Agricultural Dept in Md supports small market gardeners.

See the link below. I particularly like the "willingness to glean."

Here is a link that might be useful: Maryland farmer's market guidelines

Bookmark   February 21, 2006 at 12:37PM
More Discussions
Emergency: using unvented propane in greenhouse - help!
Hey everyone, I'm hoping someone with some experience...
secondspring
Cash Rent for land
Quick question. I am looking for some ground to rent...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
Spinach harvest
Testing out these new forums, but I thought I would...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
Finding the right market
Other thread getting too long and going in too may...
2ajsmama
Selling Tomato Plants?
We have a small produce farm, and we sell everything...
tawnyap1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™