Japanese Maple excited!

Hibiscus_0bsessed(8)April 24, 2013

Ok so as u can tell I'm normally on the Hibiscus forum but I also love Japanese Maples, I have only one in my front yard. Today I went out to pick some seeds to try and grow some new ones, so I can say "I grew it myself" (I'm new to gardening) anyway I found 9 already sprouted seeds! I was so excited I had to share. I am still going to try and grow more myself, but its a great start. Thanks for listening/reading. :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

Congrats. You're a father...or mother. Now, first and foremost, nothing will kill a seeding faster than potting it up with garden soil. It will turn to cement. Search this forum for potting mixes.

tj

Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 5:50PM
cearbhaill

Could you possibly put your growing zone information in your profile so that it shows when you post?
I find it difficult to process posts without the context of where you are.
And yes, I know I can see it if I click on your profile- my position remains that I shouldn't have to :)

Congrats on the seedlings.
Did you do a anything special in the way of seed prep?
What kind of maple do you have?
Do you know it is is self pollinating or what other maples you have in your neighborhood?
It will be interesting to see what they turn out to be!

Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 10:40AM
Hibiscus_0bsessed(8)

I'm sorry, I'm in zone 8 in central Cali. I'm not too knowledgeable about Japanese Maples so all I know is the one in my front yard is a green one, and it has lots of seeds growing on it right now. I didn't do anything for seed prep, the only thing I can think of is a few weeks ago I pulled out these ugly bushes that were around the tree itself and I soaked the dirt around it to pull out the roots from the bushes, which left the dirt wet and loose. So yesterday when I went outside to pick some seeds to prep in the fridge, I found some already sprouting! Now the trick will be to keep them alive lol. There are a lot of other Japanese around my neighborhood both red and green, so I am excited to see what the seedlings will be.

Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 5:22PM
More Discussions
Species Acer Palmatum leaves turning red
I have a couple of species A.p. seedlings under lights...
ysrgrathe PA 6b
Is this japanese maple dying?
I've have this young beni schichihenge for its first...
ledouchebag
Japanese Maple concerns
The tree has two main branches. Is that normal? Also...
420benz
Japanese Maple scion wood
Hello, Have a lot of Maple seedlings Anybody wants...
korina77
Refreshing dirt in potted trees
Hi guys - I have 2 Japanese Maples in wine barrels....
minflick
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™