Tapicoa Plant

raine39(z9FL)October 23, 2004

Does anyone know anything about a plant called "Tapicoa Plant"? I just purchased two at Lowe's at a discount price. There were no information tags with them. The plants are very pretty and I would like to know how to take proper care of them.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ltcollins1949(9a TX)

This is a good site that should tell you everything you want to know about the Tapioca Plant: Manihot esculenta Family: Euphorbiaceae (spurge family) Common Names: cassava, manihot, manicot, yuca and the following is from this website: by Jack Sheper

The most unusual and the most exciting plant that I scored from Steve on this visit was a cassava (Manihot esculenta), a tropical plant from whose tubers tapioca is made. I got one from him several years ago and grew into a huge exotic looking plant with big bluish leaves. Since cassava is killed back to the ground when it freezes here, I overwintered some 18 in (45.7 cm) long pieces of stem under a bale of straw. Come spring the stems are planted with a few inches poking from the ground. In a week or two they sprout and grow rapidly from there. Unfortunately the stems must be flavorful and delicious because the puppies quickly found them, pushed the bale away and chewed them up causing me to be cassava-less until now. This fall I'm going to pot up some stems and keep them protected from frost - and from puppies.

However, I also read the following:
WARNING
All parts of the cassava plant are poisonous and must be processed by peeling, pressing or cooking before eating. It is reported that the Caribbean Arawak Indians committed suicide be eating raw cassava rather than face slavery under the Spanish invaders.

So I don't know about how the puppies could live if it is that poisonous.

Bookmark   October 23, 2004 at 8:01PM
More Discussions
High Country Gardens has closed.
A favorite xeric and high country plant supplier has...
nmgirl
I'm excited, I just registered for the course!
Hi everyone, I'm really excited, I just registered...
nannerbelle
New Year Plans for you or your MG unit?
Any new plans, goals or changes for yourself as an...
nmgirl
cleaning a rain barrel
Hi all, I just bought a 300 gallon tote that I plan...
finnickyaboutgreen
Unknown Plant
This Plant grows pretty wild down the street and one...
Grief_Tactic
Sponsored Products
Jaipur Pura Vida Kingston Flat Weave Stripe Pattern Wool Handmade Rug Multicolor
$177.00 | Hayneedle
Fabbian | Giunco Floor Lamp
YLighting
Crescent Garden Pandora Planter - 19L x 19W in. - A732314
$191.48 | Hayneedle
Wusthof Gourmet Vegetable Knife
$89.95 | FRONTGATE
Fruit Treasure Box Set
$7.49 | zulily
Willow Pot
$6.49 | zulily
Order Home Collection 2ft Cherry Blossom Tree