field testing

napapen(ca 15)November 22, 2004

One of the programs we have in Napa is field testing. It has become very popular and we just finished the final reports on our egg plant field test this year. We grew 20 eggplant of 5 varieties in each garden. They had to be planted randomly and by number. Each plant was measured once a month for height and width. As the fruit ripened we weighed the total and number of each harvest. We had an event where we had cooked eggplant dishes and a taste test of each variety with nothing on them. The statistics of each variety from each garden were compiled and recommendations made on which variety over all was the best in home gardens in Napa County. I had a total of 143 eggplant!!

On the best things about these tests are the home visits to check the situation of each garden and how they were planted. Our final public information sheet will tell gardeners that ample watering seems to be of more importance than fertlizier. And that the sun exposure on the plants and the distance apart are very important for growth. We had them too close together in most situations.

It was really a worth while project and the professor who came to review our statistics said we have done more than many of the students in his college ag classes.

We want to do a similar test next year on another crop.

Penny

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
back_yard_guy(z6 KS)

Penny, our MG group has a tomato field trial every year that culminates with a tasting test at the county fair. Jet Star wins every year. Sounds like you have a more meaningful field demonstration.

Larry

Bookmark   November 23, 2004 at 7:00PM
napapen(ca 15)

We've done onions, carrots, brocelli, tomatos, bell peppers, potatoes, melons, etc. This year was the most extensive and while it was more work it did reach some major conclusions for the Napa County microclimates. I look forward to what ever is decided for next spring/summer.

Penny

Bookmark   November 24, 2004 at 12:06AM
back_yard_guy(z6 KS)

It would seem that the results of your field trials should be a very valuable service to the comercial grower as well as to the home gardener.

Bookmark   November 24, 2004 at 12:02PM
More Discussions
watering and soil
I have a question about the cause of a layer of green...
oopsadaisy00
Distilled water when doing a pH test
I've read that one has to use distilled water when...
woohooman
Ask an Expert Master Gardener Program
If any of you are familiar with the Ask an Expert program,...
gardener_sandy
New Year Plans for you or your MG unit?
Any new plans, goals or changes for yourself as an...
nmgirl
Rejected by the MN MG Program- Please Help
Today I found out that I was not accepted into the...
iclimbtrees
Sponsored Products
Fab Pendant by Tech Lighting
$220.00 | Lumens
Indoor Berber Area Rug: Transitional Light Moss and 1' 10" x 3' 1" Plush
$19.97 | Home Depot
Stilo 7 Bronze Three-Light Mini Pendant with Carrera Glass
$441.00 | Bellacor
Grace Outdoor Ottoman Cover
$39.50 | FRONTGATE
Florence Style Loft Left-Arm Leather Sectional Sofa in Tan
$1,499.00 | LexMod