Japanese Maple Bloodgood, Questions????

Jcdaniels2April 28, 2013

Ok well I bought these sprouts online and they will be my first ever tree, one of them I will let them grow naturally and the other I shall bonsai it :D, Some questions wanted to ask,

First How many times should I water the sprouts

Second How much sun do they need, What I mean is how long should they be in the sun

Third Can it be too cold for them because right now it is 69F
Im sure that's perfect for them,

I just want to make sure I grow them right so they wont die because I know they can be hard to grow,

We had a one bloodgood out in the yard that was close or was 4 feet tall and for some reason IDK Y but it didn't survive the winter?? but Just as spring showed up, three more bloodgoods popped out of the ground where the old one died so Im trying to take care of them.

Also Do I need to move the three sprouts or will they grow just fine together, don't want them to be crowded

This post was edited by Jcdaniels2 on Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 15:44

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

First, your 'sprouts' or any seedling grown Japanese maple cannot be a named form like 'Bloodgood'. Named forms can only be propagated asexually, by grafting (most common) or cuttings (much less common and harder to do). Seed grown Japanese maples are just examples of the species, Acer palmatum. Period. These can be very variable in leaf color and shape, sometimes looking very much like the parent tree and othertimes not at all.

I can't tell you how much or how often to water but you want the soil to stay just moist - not wet and not too dry. You should have some drainage holes in the bottom of those cups :-) And in zone 8, it is never too cold for Japanese maples unless you are trying to grow babies like these in those cups outdoors over winter. It is best if you have one seedling/sprout per cup........once they reach about 6-8 inches tall, you should repot them in a larger pot with good potting soil. This time next year you can plant in the ground.

Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 4:50PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jcdaniels2

Thanks so much, you have answered all I needed to know and you taught me somethings too lol

Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 10:15PM
More Discussions
Has anyone ordered a Jap. Maple online
Looking for a lace leaf japanese maple around 3 Gal....
420benz
help choosing a tree
I want to put a row of trees between my neighbor and...
bucks5022004
Need help with struggling Jap Maple
CHeck out these pictures my Japanese maple isn't doing...
djiancharles
Green-leafed, spreading-habit Japanese Maple varieties?
Hi All- We're looking for a Japanese Maple for our...
folksnake
Japanese maple tree identification
Hi, I got this Japanese Maple from an arbor day giveaway...
iluv2knit
Sponsored Products
AireRyder Ceiling Fans Zephyr 52 in. Brushed Nickel Ceiling Fan FN52267BN-C
$76.93 | Home Depot
Henri De Rivel Pro Show Jumping Saddle Multicolor - 2002-R01P16
$995.00 | Hayneedle
Set of Three Women's Blouse/Sweater Hangers with Felted Bar
$69.00 | FRONTGATE
Sonneman | Lina Table Lamp
$390.00 | YLighting
Milani Cheetah Chair - BR/GRAYCHEETAH
$2,099.00 | Horchow