Flowers for October Wedding
Hi everyone. I am growing my own flowers for my October 15, 2011 wedding.
First of all, I KNOW that everyone will say that I am crazy. Growing my own flowers? For an OCTOBER wedding? In MAINE?!!?!?!
So let's get this all out of the way:
1. Yes, I am crazy
2. It won't really matter if I have massive flower failure. It's not that kind of wedding.
3. I do have a backup plan. Two of them, actually.
OK, now that we are all calmed down about that, here is the plan:
1. I have some gorgeous dahlia bulbs on the way. This year my dahlias were flowering into the third week of October. I realize that we had a long growing season, but I am prepared with row covers if they are necessary.
2. I have the following seeds which I plan to direct seed in mid to late June for a later bloom:
Fortress Purple Statice
State Fair Mix Zinnia
Rocket Mix Snapdragon
Imperial Mix Pincushion Flower
Lacy Blue Didiscus
Kiwi Blue Cerinthe
Sea Star Mix Aster
Princess Mix Aster
I have plenty of row covers in case of early frosts.
3. I will be putting in two raised beds of mixed sunflowers and planting both perennial and annual sweet peas in the spring
I would love any tips and/or hints that will help me to harvest as many of my own flowers as possible. Anyone?