Tamukeyama behaving wierd

cathy0429(7a)April 14, 2010

So about 10 days ago, the weather started getting really nice in these parts...high 80s. All of a sudden, our Tamukeyama which we installed last year, put out much new growth. Out came beautiful buds and opening into tiny leaflets, and all. Suddenly it turned cold for a couple of days, then back to warm again.

However, the Tamukeyama leaves seem to be frozen in time. They are not plumping up anymore and are dropping downwards. I am pretty sure this is not their original size. Also, no more new buds, so the tree is so thin-looking.

Any idea why it would do this? We watered every alternate day last week, but decide to hold off this week suspecting over watering. I hope we didnt over water it.

Any suggestions to improve the Tamukeyama and get it back on track. Its located in the East-South-East of the house, so it gets direct sun until about 1pm.

I will post pics this evening.

Thanks much all.

-Cathy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

New spring growth of Japanese maple cultivars is often frost-sensitive.

Bookmark   April 16, 2010 at 12:14PM
jaa52(6 MA)

I have a JP Tamukeyama, It has been in the grden going on 4 years. This years as of April all the branches have what I beive are no buds or leaves. There is one new branch growing from the bottom of the tree with green leaves on it so I can assume the tree is not dead? Should I wait awhile and see if it buds, if not do I cut out all the dead branches?

Bookmark   April 20, 2010 at 11:08AM
cathy0429(7a)

So I spoke with a horticulturalist at the nursery I bought the tamukeyama from. He said that it sounded like the plant was stressed due to underwatering, since we had a few over 80degree days that week. He suggested watering the plant, every alternate day at the rate of 3gallons in 2mins, and it should take care of the plant.

Did that on day 1, and on day 3 the plant was already looking better. Have continued that routine, but doesnt seem like the plant is doing that much better. Sure the leaves have grown plumper, and the tree looks denser, but not quite last years state yet.

Do I just have a lazy tree?

Bookmark   April 22, 2010 at 12:07PM
More Discussions
Mail order source for improved silver maples?
Greetings! Brand new to the forum. This spring, I'll...
arbordavein
Over-wintering small Maples on a window sill
Het, Just wondering. Can you over-winter small maple...
Timothy Wood
Species Acer Palmatum leaves turning red
I have a couple of species A.p. seedlings under lights...
ysrgrathe PA 6b
Acer palmatum 'Barbara'
Acer palmatum 'Barbara' is listed as a cultivar on...
directorrod
Refreshing dirt in potted trees
Hi guys - I have 2 Japanese Maples in wine barrels....
minflick
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™