October Glory vs Conquest Maple

lot67April 24, 2009

I can purchase an october glory for $39.99 or pay $59.99 for a maple conquest. There both about 4-5 ft. The conquest has leaves already, while the october glory has buds.

I'm looking for something that will look nice,strong, and grows fast.

Which one would you chose and why?

Thanks!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
whaas_5a(5A SE WI)

If your in zone 5 or higher I wouldn't buy anything that has leaves on it right now.

I'm not familar with the conquest maple...but on the October Glory Maple.

October Glory Red Maple will grow to be about 50 feet tall at maturity, with a spread of 40 feet. It has a high canopy with a typical clearance of 7 feet from the ground, and should not be planted underneath power lines. It grows at a medium rate, and under ideal conditions can be expected to live for 80 years or more.

This tree should only be grown in full sunlight. It is quite adaptable, prefering to grow in average to wet conditions, and will even tolerate some standing water. It is not particular as to soil type, but has a definite preference for acidic soils, and is subject to chlorosis (yellowing) of the leaves in alkaline soils. It is somewhat tolerant of urban pollution, and will benefit from being planted in a relatively sheltered location.

Bookmark   April 24, 2009 at 9:27PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
arktrees(6b NW Arkansas)

Conquest maple is apparently Acer platanoides 'Conzam' , a red leaf form of Norway Maple. As such there is potential of it being invasive if you are somewhere in a moderately moist climate or wetter.

So of the two, I would say Acer rubrum 'October Glory'. Very nice tree, though personally I would probable go with Acer rubrum "Sunset Red Maple' as I like the early color up, while the October Glory is much later in coloring. Just a personal preference.

Arktrees

Bookmark   April 24, 2009 at 11:40PM
More Discussions
Burlapping maples - any dangers?
We had a very harsh winter last year and I lost a couple...
ysrgrathe PA 6b
Is it ok to plant Bloodgood at December in zone 7a?
I got two 45 gallon Bloodgood JM trees on my driveway....
Pro320
Zone 5a and 4b Hardy Japanese Maple Cultivars
This past winter should be a good indicator as to what...
whaas_5a
Refreshing dirt in potted trees
Hi guys - I have 2 Japanese Maples in wine barrels....
minflick
Dip N Grow on Maples?
Hey, I was just wondering. Does anyone know if Dip...
Timoth26
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™