garden 2012

normathenewbie(5)February 27, 2012

Okay, I am back after a not so fruitful first try back in 2008/2009. We have moved but still in the same zone. Which I think is 5? (Phippsburg) I am so excited to get started this year. I am thinking we will be doing raised beds and a lot of container gardening.

When should we start our seedlings indoors? And what should we be starting first?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
normathenewbie(5)

A friend told me about lasagna gardening which I think might work our great. But not sure if you can start them in the spring and plant in them or if you have to start them in the fall so they have time to cook over the winter. anyone have success in our area? Would love to know how it worked out. also posted on facebook to my locals in hopes that I can find some leads on some manure and old hay.

Bookmark   February 28, 2012 at 11:38AM
Jon_dear(4/5)

I'm more of a fan of growing in tilled ground but raising the beds. I highly recommend all three of eliot colemans books. You can get them at the library. If they don't have them they can get them through interlibrary loan.

Bookmark   March 23, 2012 at 11:03PM
jennybog(zone 5)

I Live in woolwich. I have raised beds that do really well. I have a Potager. I plant all my seeds in early may. My beds because they are raised are warmer earlier and stay warmer longer.I would enjoy talking with other maine gardeners if you have time. Jenny

Bookmark   March 27, 2012 at 8:50PM
normathenewbie(5)

Jon_dear, thank you for the tips and I will look for those books at my library.

Jennybog, I lived in Woolwich for 5 years. Just built here in Phippsburg last year. Who knows, we may know each other.

Bookmark   March 27, 2012 at 9:45PM
jennybog(zone 5)

normathenewbie,
I have lived in woolwich for 8 years. I have a small hobby farm. I just Love living here. I have many friends in Phippsburg. It is a small world

Bookmark   March 31, 2012 at 5:50PM
More Discussions
Who has Grapes in Maine
How about a few notes from anyone growing grapes in...
bberry_gw
spring blooming white flowered bush
Hi all, I have a friend in Maine who planted an unknown...
Elijahs.Mimi
Ut Oh. Maine is a very inactive forum.
Ok. Let's chat. I live somewhere near Ellsworth, although...
annpatt
Best Greenhouses in Maine
I was wondering where the best Greenhouses in Maine...
Kathy_in_Maine
Styrax japonicus (Japanese Snowball tree)
I live near Damariscotta in mid coast Maine. I'm wondering...
adimice
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™