Bean Sprouts

blaithinbeka(6)February 11, 2008

Has anyone tried selling bean sprouts at your market? How have you gone about growing and preparing them? How much to you charge for them?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
moonblooms(z8 AL)

Bean Sprouts at a farmer's market is probably not going to be a huge seller. Although, I've never tried selling them, I have grown them. You soak them, put them in the dark and then rinse them twice a day until they sprout, then you have to rinse off the hulls. It's really quite a labor intensive and since they're in the dark (out of sight, out of mind) they tend to be forgotten. I think there is also the worry of bacteria growing.

I'd say unless you have a huge Asian population at your market, or someone happens by that is making pad thai that night, you'll be going home with them.

You should search "micro-greens" on this forum (similar type item). There is a very good thread on micro greens.

Bookmark   February 22, 2008 at 3:16PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
skagit_goat_man_(WA)

Google and find some sites where commercial bean sprouters are sold. That will give you a better idea of the process. Because of some e. coli outbreaks involving bean srouts some states classify it as a processed food requiring health department regulation. Tom

Bookmark   February 24, 2008 at 9:43AM
More Discussions
electric mantis tiller?
I am thinking of getting one for use in hoop houses....
jnjfarm_gw
Spinach harvest
Testing out these new forums, but I thought I would...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
Gotta do something to increase sales, stay in business
This year was the worst yet, I've been doing this since...
2ajsmama
Wanted: 4 row seeder
I'm in the market for a 4 row pinpoint seeder, the...
sundacks
Selling Tomato Plants?
We have a small produce farm, and we sell everything...
tawnyap1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™