looking for site for plant/seed sources

marthacr(z5 Me)February 26, 2006

Does anyone have info on a site where you can enter a name of a plant/seed and find the companies that carry it for retail sale?

I know you can google the plant name, but then you have to weed out what are not retail sources. I could use this often. Today I am looking for two things- dianthus Beatrix and Salvia microphylla Hot Lips.

TIA

Martha

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maineman(z5a ME)

Martha,

Dianthus Beatrix is this Clove Pink.

This is one source of several for Salvia microphylla Hot Lips. Scroll down the page to find Hot Lips.

MM

Bookmark   February 27, 2006 at 11:03PM
marthacr(z5 Me)

Thanks, MM.

Select seeds was actually the place where I first saw the Beatrix. I am hoping to find a source for seeds. If not, I'll have to get the plants and create my own seed source.
I am hoping, though, to find a site that is similar to a book that I have seen in recent years. It is a type of source book for locating plants. There's a list of nurseries as the base, then a list of plants/seeds and notated after each variety which companies carry that plant/seed.
Obviously it is something that must get updated almost yearly. It seems like a web source would be a better way to do it than a new book every year or so. And to have just Maine nurseries would be a bonus for us!

Martha

Bookmark   February 28, 2006 at 10:05AM
maineman(z5a ME)

Martha,

"Obviously it is something that must get updated almost yearly. It seems like a web source would be a better way to do it than a new book every year or so. And to have just Maine nurseries would be a bonus for us! "

I agree, such a website would be very useful. Unfortunately, I don't know of such a site either. So I just search for such information the old-fashioned way. I google for it. (grin)

MM

Bookmark   March 6, 2006 at 2:17PM
robin_maine

The publication I work for is working on it but it won't be done in time for this year's seed ordering.

Bookmark   March 7, 2006 at 5:50PM
paulaj(z5 ME)

Try Jellito.

Bookmark   March 11, 2006 at 2:05PM
paulaj(z5 ME)

Oops, I spelled it wrong. It's Jelitto.

Bookmark   March 11, 2006 at 2:08PM
More Discussions
Planting Calender/ Landscaping Recommendations - Bangor
Hi, My mom has a house in Bangor, and it looks terrible....
Baby G (Z10, 300?CH, SoCal-LA)
Who has Grapes in Maine
How about a few notes from anyone growing grapes in...
bberry_gw
Ut Oh. Maine is a very inactive forum.
Ok. Let's chat. I live somewhere near Ellsworth, although...
annpat
Small fruit classes?
Wondering if anyone knows of any classes in small fruit...
bushpilot1
Growing Rhododendron in northern Maine
I live in Caribou, ME and visted the Connecticut shore...
dtl11
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™