getting maple babies from nautral propagations..

sketch804April 6, 2012

Now for a few years now I have been driving around my local area and taking baby JM seedlings that will be pulled up and mulched over in the next month because I would rather see them grow than be seen as a common weed and trashed. Now most of the time when I do this I will take a knife or a spade and shove it down an inch or two from the seedling, losen the dirt and pull it out. Now my sucess rate is only about 50% or so right now..So is there any prefered form on how to remove these from the ground and get a better sucess rate?? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mrgpag

possibly dig a bit deeper, transplant into pots about twice the size of the root mass, water well, and place in the shade for a month or so until the roots get re-established. This is what I do and usually get 100% survival.
Marshall

Bookmark   April 6, 2012 at 9:31PM
sketch804

okay sounds good, i just don't want to take a bunch of dirt with me, i am trying to do this as bare root as opposed to a rootball transplant. I will try to go deeper! I try to leave the ground as it was because its landacaped nicely and such..but I do ask before hand..haha

Thanks!

Bookmark   April 9, 2012 at 2:12PM
alley_cat_gw

Try having very wet paper napkins wrapped around them in plastic bag for the ride home. Have there new home ready to go before the treasure hunt. If they wiggle out of the ground well and you get em planted soon with water and shade they should do good.

Bookmark   April 10, 2012 at 11:42AM
sketch804

yesum, that's usually what I do when I uproot them, I can't remember if I put them in the shade, but I will try that one this year..almost time! Thanks much!

Bookmark   April 10, 2012 at 4:57PM
More Discussions
Zone 5a and 4b Hardy Japanese Maple Cultivars
This past winter should be a good indicator as to what...
whaas_5a
Is it ok to plant Bloodgood at December in zone 7a?
I got two 45 gallon Bloodgood JM trees on my driveway....
Pro320
Acer palmatum 'Barbara'
Acer palmatum 'Barbara' is listed as a cultivar on...
directorrod
Japanese Maple concerns
The tree has two main branches. Is that normal? Also...
420benz
Central lead?
Had this tree planted in the fall and getting increasingly...
libratravel
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™