calculating height width for tunnels

veggievicki(7b)February 24, 2013

I ran across this website that is really handy if you want to figure out sizes for your tunnels. You put in the radius (which would be the height, and also double the radius to get the width of your tunnel) and it will tell you the circumference. If you half the circumference, that will tell you how long your pipe would need to be to get that height and width on your tunnel. You can also change it to calculate the height and width you would get from a certain length pipe. For example if you had a 20 foot pipe, you would double that to get circumference of a full circle (since a tunnel is a half circle) Enter 40, and it will tell you how tall (about 6 foot four) and wide (double your 6 foot 4) your tunnel will be. Kind of cool. I haven't find a website yet that will calculate it from the point of an arc. For example, if I wanted a tunnel 10 foot hight and 16 feet wide, what length would that arc be. Maybe somebody smarter than me knows the formula for that or has found a site.

Here is a link that might be useful: calculating tunnel height and width

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
little_minnie(zone 4a)

See below for an ellipse calculator. My tunnel will be 9 feet wide and about 3.5 high. As a circle it would be4.5 feet tall 14 feet semi circle, as an ellipse it says just over 10 feet but I cannot believe it. I will cut a 12 foot piece and see how it fits. I ordered the film and row cover 14 feet to allow sandbags.

Here is a link that might be useful: ellipse calculator

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 11:22PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
veggievicki(7b)

That's the challenge I'm finding, Minnie. Trying to get the optimum tunnel width from the standard size materials. And also figuring in walk paths. I'm still wading through the calculations, but I've about come to the conclusion that it is cost effective to build a sidewall out of wood (most folks would have to use pressure treated but we have a cedar saw mill locally) for the extra height that lets me go wider without going to a third pipe joint. And being able to roll up or remove the sidewalls seems like a real plus.

Bookmark   February 26, 2013 at 8:29AM
More Discussions
Spinach harvest
Testing out these new forums, but I thought I would...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
Mara des bois strawberry?
I have just discovered Mara des bois strawberry and...
cedar_wa
Cash Rent for land
Quick question. I am looking for some ground to rent...
Winter markets, going better?
We had another winter market last Saturday. Due to...
Tomato grafting
I've been thinking of trying it for a few years, and...
grow_life
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™