Most Fragrant Sweet Peas?

mainerose(4)March 16, 2008

My sweet peas bloomed well last year but the fragrance was not very strong. Have you grown varieties that were especially fragrant? If so, where did you get them? I'll be ordering seeds soon.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
veilchen(5b southern Maine)

One commonly available is 'Old Spice'. I have been growing these for several years and save seeds from them each year. They smell yummy. I may have some extra seeds from last year, email me if you can't find 'Old Spice'; I think I originally purchased them from Pinetree Seeds. They are a mix of different colors.

Last year I ordered a couple new varieties from Thompson & Morgan seed catalog. They are a British company, and have loads of varieties of sweet peas as the English grow a lot of them. Just make sure you order those marked "very fragrant".

Bookmark   March 19, 2008 at 6:52AM
mainerose(4)

Thanks. I will look for them locally. If not, I know that Johnny's has them. I have ordered from Thompson & Morgan in the past, but not sweet peas. I'll check their catalog to see what they are offering this year. I know they have lots of varieties that are hard to find elsewhere.

Bookmark   March 20, 2008 at 2:46PM
mainerose(4)

Well, my sweet peas are blooming! I followed your advice and purchased some seeds from Johnny's as well as a couple of packages from Longfellows---one called Moroccan Mixture. I am now sitting at work inhaling the most delicious fragrance from a bouquet I picked this morning. If I can't be home working in my garden, this is the next best thing! Thanks for the advice.

Bookmark   July 15, 2008 at 10:41AM
More Discussions
Planting Calender/ Landscaping Recommendations - Bangor
Hi, My mom has a house in Bangor, and it looks terrible....
Baby G (Z10, 300?CH, SoCal-LA)
Growing Rhododendron in northern Maine
I live in Caribou, ME and visted the Connecticut shore...
dtl11
What is this sweet plant ?
Hi, I saw this plant in Southwest Harbour , Maine,...
carib2008
Help with ID this plant
**THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE ID!** We visited Rockport...
p.polyxenes
Best Greenhouses in Maine
I was wondering where the best Greenhouses in Maine...
Kathy_in_Maine
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™