Romaine Lettuce

mainerose(4)March 22, 2011

I'm planning to try some new veggies this year and would like to plant some Romaine. (Just plain tired of the leaf kinds). Has anyone had success with this in Zone 4? Any particular variety? What about any of the head lettuces (crisphead, buttercrunch)?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jenski

I am trying buttercrunch this year & will let you know how it goes. I have only ever done spinach, mixed greens, kale and Fedco's Summer Lettuce Mix and Winter Lettuce mix before this.

Bookmark   March 29, 2011 at 8:32AM
mainerose(4)

Dear GardenWeb--PLEASE sort posts by date of replies rather than date of orginial post. I love these forums BUT--- my post about romaine lettuce is buried under those from many previous years----hard for poeople to reply when they have to scroll and scroll forever.

Bookmark   April 25, 2011 at 9:59PM
jenski

So I didn't do Romaine Lettuce, but (as I mentioned in my reply) I did Bibb Buttercrunch lettuce and it is MARVELOUS. Highly recommended.

Bookmark   July 13, 2011 at 9:17AM
troymaine

I grew Swiss Chard, Red Merlot Romaine, and Buttercrunch this year and had great success with all three. The swiss chard and Buttercrunch I did from seed and the Red Merlot was a seedling transplant from a local gardener in my area. I put them all outside in ground in mid May and didn't do a lot so I just harvested my last romaine head at the beginning of this week.

Bookmark   July 28, 2011 at 7:40PM
mainerose(4)

My romaine did pretty well---not as large as the store-bought, but then I didn't expect it to be. The buttercrunch sounds great--definitely on my list for next year!

Bookmark   September 3, 2011 at 12:59PM
More Discussions
Lupine Problems
So, this is the second time I have tried to grow Lupines....
LynnMaziarz
more RAIN!!
do you think we will be able to grow gardens this season?...
sherryinmaine
Growing Rhododendron in northern Maine
I live in Caribou, ME and visted the Connecticut shore...
dtl11
Best Greenhouses in Maine
I was wondering where the best Greenhouses in Maine...
Kathy_in_Maine
garden 2012
Okay, I am back after a not so fruitful first try back...
normathenewbie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™