70 Million Investment for Ethanol

labrea_gwFebruary 25, 2012

Interesting if it gets off the ground!

Joule Unlimited, a startup based in Bedford, Massachusetts, has received $70 million to commercialize technology that uses microörganisms to turn sunlight and carbon dioxide into liquid fuel.

The company claims that its genetically engineered bacteria will eventually be able to produce ethanol for as little as $1.23 a gallon or diesel fuel for $1.19 a gallon, less than half the current cost of both fossil fuels and existing biofuels.

I wish them luck

Here is a link that might be useful: Joule

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Brushworks Spectacular Finishes(5)

An alternate fuel like that makes more practical sense than an all electric car. This is something that can be implemented sooner than later and help decrease the demand on fossil fuel, not to mention bringing some relief to family budgets.

Bookmark   February 25, 2012 at 10:17PM
labrea_gw

Privately held company would be a nice investment!

Bookmark   February 25, 2012 at 10:34PM
david52_gw

There's a lot of interesting stuff out there using algae, sunlight, and other inputs, like CO2. Exxon and some group in New Zealand have a way of converting methane into gasoline, although I dunno even the rough outline of that one.

Exxon also joined up with Craig Venter, of human DNA sequencing fame, and pledged 500 million in an genetically modified DNA algae scheme - Scientific American interview with Venter at the link. The guy may be a jerk, but does have some interesting insights.

There is also a start-up algae farm near here in the high desert, run by the Southern Ute tribe.

Here is a link that might be useful: link to Vener interview

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 10:12AM
ohiomom

I am for "alternative" energy !

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 10:27AM
fouquieria(10b)

I saw a documentary once on fuel being produced in Brazil. It was smack dab in the middle of sugar cane country. Many cars and most buses in the region were converted to use that particular kind of fuel and it was being produced at a cheaper price than regular gas.

I can imagine something like that would be quite practical in say Omaha and Des Moines...maybe as far away as St. Louis, Chicago, Minneapolis.

There's all sorts of strategies a country can take. We seem to want one all-encompassing solution.

-Ron-

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 3:49PM
PRO
Brushworks Spectacular Finishes(5)

I'm glad we are running like hell away from "clean" coal.

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 6:19PM
More Discussions
WTF?? Where is the seed exchange???
Is it gone because it's free?
sammymocha
Satanic Coloring Book Prompts Fla. School To Ban All Religious Materia
Hopefully, more people will come to their senses and...
enmc
California displacing older American workers via H1-B Visas
What have California's middle class American workers...
adoptedbyhounds
A Court decision gutting ACA could be a lot worse than you think
A Court decision gutting ACA could be a lot worse than...
momj47
Duck Dynasty and Free Speech Award
CPAC is a clown show.I was watching TV today and while...
Pidge
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™