Eggs. Poultry. Fish

veggievicki(7b)February 3, 2013

At our market you can bring eggs if they haven't been refrigerated. Not sure why. I'm going to try some chicken tractors this summer as they got snapped up and only a few people brought them. I've been reading as much as I can on micro farming and it would seem meat birds and fish are good revenue. If I'm understanding correctly sold through CSA doesn't require inspections And or special permits? Does that carry over to farmers market?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
boulderbelt(5/6)

Only if they sell through YOUR CSA which is exactly the same as selling anything in any manner directly from your farm. If you want to sell through another person's CSA than they better have the permits and set up to sell meat, fish and eggs on their property from others. in Ohio that means you have to have a retail food establishment license as in Ohio this is considered reselling meat, dairy, etc..

I know if you want to sell meat at any farmers market in the country you have to have the animal(s) killed at either a state or UDSA inspected slaughter house and you will likely have to have a freezer or electric fridge to store the meat while selling at an FM. Check with your county health person and dept of Agriculture as these rules are different from state to state and sometimes county to county.

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 4:05AM
cole_robbie(6)

The vendor next to me sells Alaskan salmon he catches on fishing trips. He pays to have it processed and also has a freezer truck with a generator at market.

Selling live fish, typically to restaurant chefs, is one way to get around the health department rules.

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 12:20PM
veggievicki(7b)

Thanks. After much Internet searching I've unearthed that in Arkansas I need a twenty five dollar permit to sell fish live and a well basically a commercial kitchen complete with employee restroom if I want to sell cleaned fish. I don't know how these guys are including dressed meats in their CSAs and making a profit from it. They're all pretty keen on rabbits, too and I don't know a soul who eats rabbit meat.

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 10:03PM
randy41_1

rabbit is very popular at our market. people come looking for the vendor who sells it.

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 5:51AM
More Discussions
2 monthes of houzzy
In less than 2 months since houzzy took over garden...
jnjfarm_gw
Growing ginger in northern areas
This is my first year growing ginger, I have 10 pounds...
mdfarmer
Tilling and making raised beds
I was busy last night tilling up ground, making raised...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
anyone grow ramps??
I know this is a really specialty crop but was wondering...
brookw_gw
Selling Tomato Plants?
We have a small produce farm, and we sell everything...
tawnyap1
Sponsored Products
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Orian Rugs Rugs Moodie Blues Multi 7 ft.
Home Depot
Ashleigh Table Lamp
$538.20 | Bellacor
Outdoor Gregg Floor Lamp by Foscarini
$413.00 | Lumens
Sportsman Series Electric Meat Cutting Band Saw and Grinder
Beyond Stores
Reversible Grain Cutting Board - 1314
$42.99 | Hayneedle
Van Teal Chilly Modern Gold Leaf Table Lamp
Euro Style Lighting
Three-Egg Separator