Leaves of Shantung maples (maybe..)

lou_midlothian_tx(z8 DFW, Tx)April 16, 2007

I was strolling through the garden center at Lowes and I saw the maples but I figured they were just silver maple or red maple till I got closer and saw the tag showing "shantung maple". I couldn't believe they were really shantung maple but I'm not an expert on maple. I have several shantung maples in my lawn. One actually came from Lowes last year but it looked pretty similiar to the other ones from highly reputed nursery...

Here are the pictures..

Top left - regular shantung maple from lowes last year

Top center - shantung maple 'fire dragon'from the person who patented this tree..

top right - What I saw today at Lowe's. My first thought Norway maple...

Bottom - Another "shantung maple" i saw today at same Lowe's. It looked pretty similiar to my Sugar maple "caddo".

The last two ones are obviously a lot bigger. I wonder if Lowes is trying to mislead us or just got fooled by sleazy wholesaler nurseries...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lou_midlothian_tx(z8 DFW, Tx)

I looked hard at those trees at lowes today to find very unique character of new leaves (http://www.metromaples.com/fdweb7.JPG) and they didn't have them. The ones I have planted in my lawn including the one from Lowes are like that. I've never seen Norway maple sold anywhere in Texas so I assume it doesn't do well here. Another local nursery who always have nice and uncommon trees always have shantung maples unlike other places and they looked more like what I have. Maples at lowes have to be mislabed or something!

Bookmark   April 16, 2007 at 9:48PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
acernut(z8b CenTX)

The new leaves on new growth on my 9 foot Shantung are significantly larger than the leaves on older growth or the leaves on my 2 smaller Shantungs.

Bookmark   April 25, 2007 at 12:11PM
More Discussions
Need help with struggling Jap Maple
CHeck out these pictures my Japanese maple isn't doing...
djiancharles
Refreshing dirt in potted trees
Hi guys - I have 2 Japanese Maples in wine barrels....
minflick
Japanese Maple concerns
The tree has two main branches. Is that normal? Also...
420benz
Eric's Weeping Japanese Maple
I was at Home Depot yesterday and got this Eric's Japanese...
Allan870
7-day season for maple sap?
Here in Southern Minnesota, had an unseasonable warm...
grovestead
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™