trumpet vine won't bloom

grevay(z4ME)April 16, 2005

I have a very healthy trumpet vine...4 years old that sends out lovely, healthy vines but I have never had one bloom. I cut it back to 6-9 inches each spring. Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
adlumia(z6NJ&Z4Me)

You need to let the vine establish a woody framework on your wall/trellis. Then you cut the vine back to 1-2 buds from that framework - ie it flowers on new growth off the old growth. Also - It really needs the heat of summer to flower - you need it to be in the warmest spot in your yard - you are pushing it's hardiness abit. Finally be patient - woody vines often take awhile to get really well established. Good luck - Hummers love the flowers.

Bookmark   April 18, 2005 at 10:43AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lilyroseviolet(Maine 4and 5)

I am trying to do the same with honeysuckle and grapes.

Would it help if I tied dried grape vines harvested from a previous location, and now I was thinking of using vines or string to train the vines onto my new outdoor open framed room. Now how do I find the right tree to grow from the center of four lattice walls with 2 4 foot side entrances.

Mosquito season will be here soon. should I put the netting on it now and if so what should I use?

(Did I just high jack this thread?)

Bookmark   April 18, 2005 at 4:58PM
More Discussions
The Curse of the Plume Poppy
About 3 years ago my husband (the landscaper no less)...
Limur
maine is slow...
Who is around?
Jon_dear
Help with ID this plant
**THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE ID!** We visited Rockport...
p.polyxenes
more RAIN!!
do you think we will be able to grow gardens this season?...
sherryinmaine
Asparagus Questions
Ok my wife knows how much I love that asparagus so...
macropora
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™