Moving a Norway Parkway Maple

mary_maxApril 15, 2009

Our neighbor asked my husband to help move her parkway maple that is about three years old. She grew it from seed. Smile Yes you know the one! Anyway she wants it to be in the back of her property. Probably a great idea as she has lots of land. We were looking at the tree and there are roots near the surface that are as round as a dime. Can this root be cut off when we move it or do we need to keep the long root in tack. I thought perhaps my husband could just take the shovel and slice through it and continue to dig the tree out. But he was not sure he would kill the neighbors tree. Thanks for your help with this question. Hes hoping to move it by Friday as he has the day off.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

If she grew it from seed it's not a 'Columnarbroad' (Parkway), it's a seedling Norway maple. As Norway maple is a terrible pest in much of North America moving it to the back of her property, where it can then seed out into the surrounding landscape (if it is not already infested) could be a bad idea.

Bookmark   April 16, 2009 at 1:17AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mary_max

Yes I understand your thoughts but it is not my decision. Can anyone help with our project scheduled for tomorrow morning. Thanks again.

Bookmark   April 16, 2009 at 10:46AM
More Discussions
Over-wintering small Maples on a window sill
Het, Just wondering. Can you over-winter small maple...
Timothy Wood
Species Acer Palmatum leaves turning red
I have a couple of species A.p. seedlings under lights...
ysrgrathe PA 6b
Refreshing dirt in potted trees
Hi guys - I have 2 Japanese Maples in wine barrels....
minflick
Burlapping maples - any dangers?
We had a very harsh winter last year and I lost a couple...
ysrgrathe PA 6b
Is this japanese maple dying?
I've have this young beni schichihenge for its first...
ledouchebag
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™