My Beautiful Maple Has No Leaves

jackiemarylandApril 21, 2010

It's late April and every tree in the neighborhood has leaves except my gorgeous big maple - not sure which kind. I can take a picture and email you if you need. It must be about at least 30-50 years old and has been healthy as long as we have lived here (10 years). It had some stingy, fingery leaf buds and only about a dozen leaves.

I was going to call an arborist - there is a good one in the area that will try to convince the homeowner to save the tree before taking it down - but I wanted to see if anybody had any ideas.

We had unheard of snow this year - normally we get only about 1' per year cummulatively. We had over 3' in a 24 hour period and then another 1' a day later in February. Maybe this had something to do with it.

We would be heartbroken if this tree was dying.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks.

Jackie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
toronado3800 Zone 6 StLouis(6)

:( Sucks.

I'm assuming a 40 year old maple is about 50 foot tall? Is the tree overhanging your house or anything important to you?

If not, waiting a few months will be a good indicator if it is dead. No leaves by July4th would seem like a dead or too close to dead tree to me.

Bookmark   April 22, 2010 at 1:28AM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Is it a Japanese maple? (You say you're not sure)

My Japanese maples are leafing, but the big Sugar maples aren't as far along.

Josh

Bookmark   April 22, 2010 at 9:40AM
sandy25pr(z6 NY)

Have the exact same situation. Tree trimming guy says wait a little bit to see if it leafs out more, but he thinks it will have to come down as its probably dying. Should I have an arborist look at it? Will be heartbroken if it has to go- my children used to climb in it.

Bookmark   April 26, 2010 at 12:34PM
More Discussions
Refreshing dirt in potted trees
Hi guys - I have 2 Japanese Maples in wine barrels....
minflick
Japanese Maple scion wood
Hello, Have a lot of Maple seedlings Anybody wants...
korina77
acer palmatum
i live in hamilton ontario canada does anyone know...
mjoancam
Tamukeyama Japanese maple
What are the growing habits of this tree. Hight, weeping...
420benz
Has anyone ordered a Jap. Maple online
Looking for a lace leaf japanese maple around 3 Gal....
420benz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™