Moving an in ground tree

minflick(9b/7, Boulder Creek, CA)April 10, 2013

I planted a Fireglow maple about 9 months ago. It's happy, it's nearly doubled in size - and it's in the wrong spot. I need to move it. I'm sure I should wait for winter dormancy to do that, but is it POSSIBLE to move it in Summer? Part of me wants to do it now before its roots spread out any more than they have already! Or will I damage it and I would be an idiot to move it now, and doing it in winter will be the best thing for the tree...?

Melinda

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
botann(z8 SEof Seattle)

I would move it as soon as possible. After only nine months in the ground the root ball should still be small and tight enough to move rather easily.
Mike

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 5:05PM
minflick(9b/7, Boulder Creek, CA)

Really? I was expecting to be told to leave it until winter... OK then, I'll go out in the morning and start digging the new hole!

Thanks Mike!

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 8:56PM
gardengal48

Early April is hardly summer, even in CA :-) I live in a pretty balmy zone as well and only one of my JM's has fully leafed out at this time. You should still be able to move without doing harm to the tree. If it was any better established than 9 months, I might choose to wait but moving now is very similar to just planting the tree in the first place. Just keep an eye on watering this season.

Bookmark   April 12, 2013 at 2:57PM
minflick(9b/7, Boulder Creek, CA)

No, I know it's not Summer, but all 3 of mine ARE fully leafed out, or nearly so. Not all leaves are fully flat, but they're all past the bud stage.

I moved it this morning. I got a root ball about a foot across, I don't think I cut any roots while doing so, and it's just 7 feet further down the fence line than it was yesterday. It's on the shadier and wetter side of our property - the dirt is BEAUTIFUL thick black stuff over there - so I expect it will be plenty happy. It was in a 3-gallon pot for about 3 years, then a half wine barrel for nearly a year, then the first location for 9 months or so, and now it's been shuffled over a little bit.

So, thanks guys! You gave me the confidence to get out there and dig some holes!!!

Melinda

Bookmark   April 12, 2013 at 5:21PM
gigim(8A SC)

I have similiar problem. small JM (trunk about pinky size and about 2 1/2' tall, in ground since last september. Need to move to another part of same bed. Ok to do now (May 1st) in South Carolina or should I wait until fall.

Posted this question on a seperate thread - hope I get some info soon if I should do it now!

Thanks.

Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 10:54AM
More Discussions
Need help with struggling Jap Maple
CHeck out these pictures my Japanese maple isn't doing...
djiancharles
October Glory/ Sun Valley Maple growth habit question/input pls
Hello everyone. I am in a bit of a spot. I want a nice...
RGodman
Zone 5a and 4b Hardy Japanese Maple Cultivars
This past winter should be a good indicator as to what...
whaas_5a
Species Acer Palmatum leaves turning red
I have a couple of species A.p. seedlings under lights...
ysrgrathe PA 6b
Diffetences between the Autumn Blaze, Flame, and Fantasy?
In looking and reading on the WWW about different types...
Dmacsimus
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™