Insect treamment for Red Maple?

vinnie_s(NJ)May 9, 2008

My Red Maple is infested with these boring insects. The wood just powders right off. There are pinhead size and walk very fast. There seems to be other insects as well. I also have several Autumn Blaze Maples that have similar infestations, including some caterpillars. These are my second round of Maples that I have, and I am done with replacing them. Clearly, I live in an area (farm area) where these trees attract these pests. Is there any treatment I can purchase locally, that can save these trees? If they die, I am not replacing them. There are nearly 5 years old. Also, does that tar-like repair coating at Lowes, help?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
appalotranch(z7NC)

I have used seven dust on mine without any problems. If the bugs are boaring into the wood I am not sure what you could use....maybe someone will know. Good Luck. -Ivy

Bookmark   May 9, 2008 at 3:41PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

If they are boring into the tree, they are "telling" you that your tree is stressed.

Unfortunately, after a stressed tree has borers, it's life is in a downward spiral. In other words, the borers are often the final blow.

If the tree is very important to you, it would be wise to have a certified arborist come for an on-site evaluation.

Bookmark   May 10, 2008 at 2:14PM
More Discussions
Tamukeyama Japanese maple
What are the growing habits of this tree. Hight, weeping...
420benz
help choosing a tree
I want to put a row of trees between my neighbor and...
bucks502
Dip N Grow on Maples?
Hey, I was just wondering. Does anyone know if Dip...
Timoth26
Mail order source for improved silver maples?
Greetings! Brand new to the forum. This spring, I'll...
arbordavein
Central lead?
Had this tree planted in the fall and getting increasingly...
libratravel
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™